Chieftec Mesh Bigtower: Case Mod Project

Well i kinda showed some ideas of what i have planned over at Puck's thread... i have been thinking about what to do for the dual 2x120mm rad i have an have decided to make a cold air side intake for it kinda like this:

radintakeduct9ll.th.gif

chieftecbigtowerwindow2ab.jpgchieftecbigtowernowindow7pt.jpg

this way the rad gets outside air from the right-hand side panel with no air from the psu (thanks weee for reminding me about this :))

i might mold some fibreglass around a modified 4" diameter 90

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope... i might mount an 80mm fan on my ram... the rest is gonna be 92mm or 120mm...

the duct directs air from the side panel (far panel in the picture) to the rad ... the air doesn't actually come into the case really... it gets sucked into the duct, through the rad, through the fans, and pushed out the top...

nope... i might mount an 80mm fan on my ram... the rest is gonna be 92mm or 120mm...

the duct directs air from the side panel (far panel in the picture) to the rad ... the air doesn't actually come into the case really... it gets sucked into the duct, through the rad, through the fans, and pushed out the top...

605672[/snapback]

^ Its for the benefit of an external rad but the clean look of internal :) Looks good nrg - im still playing with ideas for my duct in my head...ducting fresh air to my overweight crowded card is gonna be a PITA.

Keep us posted!

lol... well here is a rather low-tech design to overcome a design flaw with the original design: access to all 8 of the radiator screws...

ductdesignchange2bc.jpg

and the rad/fan combination is quite thick... only leaving 108mm... the actual gap on the radiator shroud is 116mm across... so i want to keep this size as much as possible... on the panel side of the rad i want it to end up as basically 120mm x 240mm rectangle... anyway, here's the slightly modified design as viewed from the rear:

ductdesignchangeb3fu.jpg

i think i might build a skeleton structure out of stiff card and then lay fibreglass over the top, and then just treat it as fibreglass bodywork... so it can get the full paint treatment :D

the "chieftec mesh bigtower"... chieftec make cases for antec and tt... so some of the brilliant case features like the drive rails for ALL the drives and case handle... rounded "hinge" for the panels... rotating case feet, door handle, etc, are all there :)

the "chieftec mesh bigtower"... chieftec make cases for antec and tt... so some of the brilliant case features like the drive rails for ALL the drives and case handle... rounded "hinge" for the panels... rotating case feet, door handle, etc, are all there :)

606410[/snapback]

Question: This may be unrelated to the rest of the topic but, Doesn't the radiator cool better if air is being blown onto it, not sucked away?

Just wondering what the best "Setup" would be if I ever needed to know.

it's kinda debatable... but with a shrouded rad, it doesn't really make much difference... i'd side with fans sucking the heat off... ideally you'd want both... but with 38mm thick fans that's quite a fat sandwich!!!

lol... i might JUST be able to fit two 120x38 fans on the side panel (hence why i'm trying to end up with a 120x240 shaped rectangle at that end...

That rad vent design is looking great. That's a really good idea! I can't wait to see it in action. The case itself looks really nice too. Big and simple :)

But why don't hurry up already and get that swifty set on your 148!?!?! I want to see your temps! :P Get to work!

Seriously though, that looks like a cool plan, and I like the 3D modelling :)

smart guy to use protection goggles, ive seen many people not wearing them. but who will be the one laughing when a chip of metal at over 100kph jabs them in the eye... anyways, good luck with this man!