Various Things... (stupid Prescott)

romeo55

1st issue, out of no where my cpu get insanely hot on the same heatsink that used to keep at 55c (Load) oced from 3.4 to 3.85, I already placed as5 on it and reseated it, heres the current cooling setup

Cooler Master hyper 6, (huge copper heatsink with 6 heatpipes)

2 92 mm 39cfm fans at full blast (mounted on the heatsink)

about 9 case fans (all pulling at least 34cfm)

gallery_16368_136_114799.jpg

heres a shot of the load temps

It used to be at 55c (when it was OCed )at full load, and now its hitting 65c (NOT OCED)... i can't get my old overclock back because it hits 74c at boot up... The the voltage is only at 1.48v(if i set the voltage any higher it won't post.. i'm thinking if i set the voltage any higher it'll hit even higher temps..)...

2nd issue, i accidently took off my droop mod, (BTW: this is after my cpu was getting high temps..) and now my mobo OVERVOLTs my cpu... but its not drooping anymore... lol, i have it set at 1.2v in the bios but it holds at 1.48v even at full load... (weird huh)

3rd issue, I can no longer hold my old overclock... of only 400 mhz.. it either crashes during post, or shuts down during start up... and i'm back to stock speeds, I'm guessing probably from my cooling probs...

Heres my cooling setup now... (and yes thats an Intel stock cooler fan ontop of my ram :D )

Well, 1st off, bet you dont buy a presshot again :lol:, second, didnt you say somethign about a leaky heatpipe elsewhere (or was that another person...but i think it was you :lol:) if so I say grab yourself a new cooler.

Next if you havent done it yet, I woudl advise cutting the fan grill out of the back of the case, i have the version with a 120mm rear fan, fan gril EXTREMELY restrictive and you could use airflow with the current problems.

The OC might be bc of heat, or the votage may be reading wrong...so voltage could be causing instability.

Idk ill think about it more, right now I'm too caught up with my getting back to 2.711 daily OC on the main rig (got to get the 312htt folding stable required for my 2.8 OC)

Well, 1st off, bet you dont buy a presshot again :lol:, second, didnt you say somethign about a leaky heatpipe elsewhere (or was that another person...but i think it was you :lol:) if so I say grab yourself a new cooler. 

Next if you havent done it yet, I woudl advise cutting the fan grill out of the back of the case, i have the version with a 120mm rear fan, fan gril EXTREMELY restrictive and you could use airflow with the current problems. 

The OC might be bc of heat, or the votage may be reading wrong...so voltage could be causing instability. 

Idk ill think about it more, right now I'm too caught up with my getting back to 2.711 daily OC on the main rig (got to get the 312htt folding stable required for my 2.8 OC)

605626[/snapback]

I said that lol, it turned out that it was there the whole time and was just solder :glare:

As for the girll, i'll think on that, might have to pull out the dremel :P

Lol i agree on the prescott part... i miss my 3.2c oced to 4.1 Ghz at only 42c load... :(

Lol i agree on the prescott part... i miss my 3.2c oced to 4.1 Ghz at only 42c load... :(

605628[/snapback]

all my P4s say b or c for a reason :lol: my room's warm enough with just 4 PCs running now..and the 3.0s arent even OCed...

OH yeah cutting the rear grill on mine gave me 2deg C cooler CPU temps when i was on air cooling(case temp dropped more). heck atm my LAN rig (air cooled) is runnign cooler than my main rig (water baby :lol:) but of course the LAN rig is only running 2.25 vs 2.71, and it sits on the floor...main ig has moved to on my desk :D (yet it still gets dusty as hell...)

so yeah, 318htt stable or bust!

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=43547

(not 100% stable (wouldn't fold))

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=59384

(100% stable...but not 2.8ghz :lol:)

EDIT: the reason i say 318htt or bust, that was all the gigabyte mobo i first tried it on would get into windows with :D

Edited by cchalogamer

all my P4s say b or c for a reason :lol: my room's warm enough with just 4 PCs running now..and the 3.0s arent even OCed...

OH yeah cutting the rear grill on mine gave me 2deg C cooler CPU temps when i was on air cooling(case temp dropped more).  heck atm my LAN rig (air cooled) is runnign cooler than my main rig (water baby :lol:) but of course the LAN rig is only running 2.25 vs 2.71, and it sits on the floor...main ig has moved to on my desk :D (yet it still gets dusty as hell...)

so yeah, 318htt stable or bust!

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=43547

(not 100% stable (wouldn't fold))

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=59384

(100% stable...but not 2.8ghz :lol:)

EDIT: the reason i say 318htt or bust, that was all the gigabyte mobo i first tried it on would get into windows with :D

605643[/snapback]

wow... you blew me away, what temps are you getting?

On topic, I think i might've fried the resistor that my droop mod was orignaly attached too... (stupid solder gun...) can that be the reason why my mobo is overvolting so bad

p4cdroop2.jpg

If you have a multmeter see what voltage you are getting, if not..wtf do you have a mod like that for :lol:

my guess is this mod has somethign to do with atleast soem of the issues.

back to the off topic, ~35C load now. I think it was @ 43 C with the first one (was in the LAN rig with a Zalman CNPS 7000cu) Oh yeah case temps are 82F now....wow, got to cool this room some more :lol: (aka turn the fans in the window back on (37F outside so that'll help))

If you have a multmeter see what voltage you are getting, if not..wtf do you have a mod like that for :lol:

my guess is this mod has somethign to do with atleast soem of the issues.

back to the off topic, ~35C load now. I think it was @ 43 C with the first one (was in the LAN rig with a Zalman CNPS 7000cu) Oh yeah case temps are 82F now....wow, got to cool this room some more :lol: (aka turn the fans in the window back on (37F outside so that'll help))

605662[/snapback]

Next time i'm getting moolah i'm going to an a64.. OMG 3 ghz at 43c... ya... lol you can pull a hardnrg and turn your A/C on and take your room down to like 60F :P:P

On topic, i do have a multi (of course), i duno where i could measure vcore at... i only know the mosfets that tell me mem voltage or the agp voltage.. thats it

i need the mod because most asus boards are known to have really bad voltage droops like setting the bios to 1.6v and it stays at 1.6v idle, but during load it sags it like 1.3v causing the system to crash or become unstable... (back when i was a n00b and bought a gay asus board...and now i'm stuck with it... :( )

OK well idk...but ill sell you a 3000+...(see LAN rig in sig :D).

btw case temps down to 77F now, idk how i let it get that hot in here...

605670[/snapback]

...bah i'll probably upgrade someday... REALLY short on money...all you peoples with a64s, suck lol :D:P , i wish i had built my bros computer with this proccesor instead.... but nooooooo, i had to stay with intel and gave him the a64...hes cruzing happily along with a 3200+ clocked at 2.5ghz :( :angry2:

Ya... i'm thinking i screwed up that resitor with the droop mod in it... but that still doesn't explain the high temps...

Did you actually check the temps with a temp probe to make sure it was accurate? Temp monitoring software can be pathetically off most of the time because most onboard temp sensors suck. That just seems a little too hot at stock speeds with the cooling setup you have for me to believe.

Did you actually check the temps with a temp probe to make sure it was accurate? Temp monitoring software can be pathetically off most of the time because most onboard temp sensors suck. That just seems a little too hot at stock speeds with the cooling setup you have for me to believe.

606366[/snapback]

I'll try using a temp probe, when i get the chance,

LOL you know what i just found out when i tried getting my max temp? if it hits 71C my prescott shuts down my computer.... :blink: