Roadrunner & Linksys

silkster

I wanted to know if anyone here has experience connecting a cable modem to a linksys router.

Here's my problem:

In my house we have verizon DSL. On 2003 I purchased a linksys 802.11b broadband router. Setup was easy, went into the router changed the Internet Connection Type to:

PPPoE

Username & password

Done.

This year my twin bro replaced this 802.11b router and got the Linksys WRT54G (802.11G/B) and gave my old one to a friend who wants to share her RoadRunner cable connection.

I reseted (held the button on the back for 30sec) my old router before I gave it away.

I just want to know what should I set "Internet Connection Type" to when this Linksys router attaches to a Cable Modem??

Should I specify a IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS for this to work??

Optain IP Automatically? or what? I'm stumped..

I'm Stumped because when this Cable modem was directly connected to the PC (Cat5), her LAN adapter has the TCP/IP settings to "Automatically Optain IP"

Why wouldn't the router connect to the Cable modem with the same settings?? (Optain IP Automatically)

Here is how she has her setup:

Cable Modem has a Cat5 cable connected to the "WAN" port behind the router and her PC has another Cat5 cable going into one of the 4 ports.

She can ping the router fine, has an IP addy obtain by the local DHCP server on the router (192.168.1.100).

Edited by silkster

I wanted to know if anyone here has experience connecting a cable modem to a linksys router.

Here's my problem:

In my house we have verizon DSL. On 2003 I purchased a linksys 802.11b broadband router. Setup was easy, went into the router changed the Internet Connection Type to:

PPPoE

Username & password

Done.

This year my twin bro replaced this 802.11b router and got the Linksys WRT54G (802.11G/B) and gave my old one to a friend who wants to share her RoadRunner cable connection.

I reseted (held the button on the back for 30sec) my old router before I gave it away.

I just want to know what should I set "Internet Connection Type" to when this Linksys router attaches to a Cable Modem??

Should I specify a IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS for this to work??

Optain IP Automatically? or what? I'm stumped..

I'm Stumped because when this Cable modem was directly connected to the PC (Cat5), her LAN adapter has the TCP/IP settings to "Automatically Optain IP"

Why wouldn't the router connect to the Cable modem with the same settings?? (Optain IP Automatically)

Here is how she has her setup:

Cable Modem has a Cat5 cable connected to the "WAN" port behind the router and her PC has another Cat5 cable going into one of the 4 ports.

She can ping the router fine, has an IP addy obtain by the local DHCP server on the router (192.168.1.100).

605579[/snapback]

yeah, thats fine if you let it obtain in ip address automaticly, and that pretty much how its supposed to be set up

Tho if you wanna do more advanced stuff (like forward ports for example) you'll need to have a set address

All the obtain ip adress automaticly is doing is letting you router assign differant computers differant ips (starting from 192.168.1.100 all the way to 192.168.1.150)

Type 192.168.1.1 (thats the gateway on linksys routers) in your web browser and it'll take you to your router settings (and if it comes up with a username/password box, just type admin as the password and leave the username blank)

BTW: Linksys PWNS lol

That's the problem I configured the router to optain IP from the cable modem but no go :(

I figure thats how it was suppose to be setup. Dang its . my brother off (because his chick friend was asking my bro to bring it to her). I just got off the call with him and he's frustrated (not patient a computer illiterate.

Plus this new router (WRT54G) has slowed down my internet connection. And the Port forwarding feature is GAY!

I'll explain, with the old router, only 1 laptop was connected wirelessly, 3 other comps were connected hard-wired. All computers were assigned static IPs since 2 comps are running Limewire and Bit Torrent.

Static IPs PWN!! lol :P

Its so much easier to identify PCs when they're assigned with static ips

But yea as I was saying this new linksys doesn't like having 2 entries with the same name & port numbers (ex. BT for 192.168.1.90 & 192.168.1.83 cant have the same port forwarding numbers.) My old router did this with no problem, had it for almost 3 years and it ran without any prob.

Speedtest are showing my connection dropped from 2.8mbps to to 1mbps! grr... :narrow eyes:

That's the problem I configured the router to optain IP from the cable modem but no go :(

I figure thats how it was suppose to be setup. Dang its . my brother off (because his chick friend was asking my bro to bring it to her). I just got off the call with him and he's frustrated (not patient a computer illiterate.

Plus this new router (WRT54G) has slowed down my internet connection. And the Port forwarding feature is GAY!

I'll explain, with the old router, only 1 laptop was connected wirelessly, 3 other comps were connected hard-wired. All computers were assigned static IPs since 2 comps are running Limewire and Bit Torrent.

Static IPs PWN!! lol :P

Its so much easier to identify PCs when they're assigned with static ips

But yea as I was saying this new linksys doesn't like having 2 entries with the same name & port numbers  (ex. BT for 192.168.1.90 & 192.168.1.83 cant have the same port forwarding numbers.) My old router did this with no problem, had it for almost 3 years and it ran without any prob.

Speedtest are showing my connection dropped from 2.8mbps to to 1mbps! grr... :narrow eyes:

605615[/snapback]

Oh i know, Are you using a crossover cable from your cable modem to your router? If you didn't that'll be your problem...

Gujuman89

That's exactly what I did but no go :(

I'm going to try using a crossover cable like crazy_dude suggested.. even tho I've never of using a crossover cable between a cable modem & a router but lets see...

I have cable and the same router, I think most all cable ISPs use DHCP use a regular cable not a cross over or I do not and have never heard that one before on a router with cable, hook only one machine to it with the cable and go in there were it says release and renew IP. I have had to unplug the power from the modem for 5 or 10 minutes then plug it in and hit renew has always worked on mine or you can use the setup disc it came with.