Games Are Too Dark

i_lag

well i play PC games such as CS:S and Gunz online:the duel..

any whooo, when i play these games they are considerably darker then what they really should be, in terms of brightness. and when i exit the game, my screen is still darker then usual, so every time i exit a game i have to go into ATI Catylist, and click "done" and the screen goes back to how i had it before.

and heres my question: is there any way to stop this annoying occourance? it is very flustering when the screen in my games is to dark so that i am forced to stay in the lighter parts of the level/map. i am running a gigabyte radeon 9600 pro as indicated in my sig.

is this a video card problem, or a moniter problem? or both?

oh and one more thing, when i go to run CS:S(or any STEAM game) it says there are new video card drivers, and that mine are out of date. could this be the problem?

thanx for ur time

by the way hope ur havin a merry chistmas!!!

Well I can tell you when I switched to an LCD, my games are a lot clearer. I used to have the darkness problem with my old CRT as well. CRT's inherently have lower brightness levels than LCD's.

Have you moved the gamma all the way in the video options for your games? Before I got my LCD, FarCry was dark until I enabled HDR, and CS:S has that now too, but unfortunately your card doesn't support it. I'd say, if you are already setting your gamma as high as it goes and it's still not enough, you may want to look into getting an LCD and/or a new videocard :/

well thanx for the replies, i am thinking about updating the drivers, but im not that educated in doing so, any help would be appreciated.

and yes i defenitly do need to get a new moniter....the one is have now is a crappy handme down from my friend. and if i were to get a new moniter, do you have any suggestions on what to get?

dang my crt is so bright i have the brightness almost down to zero lol.

i also had that same kind of problem though, like in the dungeons of kal where its dark i would turn up the game brightness, and if i forgot to turn it back down, when i went to my desktop it would take a few seconds before the brighter effect would go away.

If budget isn't an issue, I would recommend getting a good LCD. Unless you're like me, and are poor, and need the low latency of a CRT.

604915[/snapback]

im like u.. :P

but i would like to know a good CRT for a max of ohh.....$150 cdn. +/- $25.... any ideas?