Automotive Paint For External Mix Airbrush?

I'm kinda stuck on this one... I got a basic airbrush cheap from work and I think I can use it for medium coverage work (says 3/4" to 2" spray). I have a new full tower which I have partially dismantled, I'm going to de-rivet and totally paint it inside and out and was wondering what type of paint to use in an airbrush as an alternative to the spray cans which end up costing a lot...

i guess i'll get 2 or 3 cans of primer, unless you can airbrush that too? i dunno tho, spray can primer isn't really my main concern... so i can go with cans...

it came with a little can of compressed air... like 330ml or something, and i have a 750ml can too... maybe that will be enough for a full tower??? or should i get a compressor? the airbrush comes with a pressure regulator so maybe i could just get a general-use air compressor (like for inflating tyres etc)

anyway, paint... i've not really had much luck searching for this, but it seems that i'd need acrylic enamel or polyurethane enamel? i really can't see at the moment, i'll continue to search obviously, but i dunno... i can only seem to get info on airbrush techniques for like airbrushing kid's faces, or airbrushing designs... not mixing paint or what paint to use for car bodies...

ug... stupid internet lol... the more i mod, the more i wish i worked in a pimp my ride bodyshop hehe

I'm kinda stuck on this one... I got a basic airbrush cheap from work and I think I can use it for medium coverage work (says 3/4" to 2" spray).  I have a new full tower which I have partially dismantled, I'm going to de-rivet and totally paint it inside and out and was wondering what type of paint to use in an airbrush as an alternative to the spray cans which end up costing a lot...

i guess i'll get 2 or 3 cans of primer, unless you can airbrush that too? i dunno tho, spray can primer isn't really my main concern... so i can go with cans...

it came with a little can of compressed air... like 330ml or something, and i have a 750ml can too... maybe that will be enough for a full tower??? or should i get a compressor? the airbrush comes with a pressure regulator so maybe i could just get a general-use air compressor (like for inflating tyres etc)

anyway, paint... i've not really had much luck searching for this, but it seems that i'd need acrylic enamel or polyurethane enamel? i really can't see at the moment, i'll continue to search obviously, but i dunno... i can only seem to get info on airbrush techniques for like airbrushing kid's faces, or airbrushing designs... not mixing paint or what paint to use for car bodies...

ug... stupid internet lol... the more i mod, the more i wish i worked in a pimp my ride bodyshop hehe

604855[/snapback]

Since its aluminum or steel, you can use the same exact method the pros do at automotive bodyshops. Some people sand to the metal, but if you just get the clear/texture off the first layer you can prime over that fine. Im getting ready to paint another case on the 27th or 28th, and am thinking of using an automotive sprayer I picked up at discount auto for 45 bucks(nice just not gravity fed so it has more waste as overspray, but not nearly as big a deal with a case as it is with a car), so i will search a bit too on what kinda of paint and some techniques we can use ;)

yeah i know the technique as i have sanded (to the metal) and can-sprayed half a car lol... i just need to know what paint to load in the airbrush jar (mine is bottom fed with the syphon tube thing) and it looks like i need a paint/thinner mix, some guides showed 50/50 start, 30/70 end...

i'm still not quite sure what's going on... there IS a body shop about 3 minutes from where i live... i might have to stop by and ask... hopefully they aren't a bunch of bastards like most garages lol

oh, i also found you can used plastic spray on body filler for a much smoother surface than regular body filler (i'm modding my new case quite heavily)... i didn't know you could get spray on filler... it's used as a final layer after regular filler and primer...

this plastic spray-on body filler...could you tell me more about it? sounds like the sort of thing i could use for my car bumper (ie/ automotive stuff). if not, er...say so :)

and i would suggest poking around at the body shop - not all scousers are arses (unless you are back home - dunno what mancunians are like much...just know that old trafford was boring...). best thing is to find when they aint too busy or then they will be pissed arf. if you hint that you might use them for your "car" and need a quote or some such rubbish, you can always drop in the questions you want answered? i dunno. thats what i would do - but then i do blag a lot...

oh, i also found you can used plastic spray on body filler for a much smoother surface than regular body filler (i'm modding my new case quite heavily)... i didn't know you could get spray on filler... it's used as a final layer after regular filler and primer...

604885[/snapback]

That sounds interesting to me too...got a link? :D

doh! my brain managed to blur plastic body filler and epoxy/polyurethane primers together... here's the link to one of the most in-depth paint guides i've seen... then again, i've never looked for anything more than spray-can guides in the past...