Sign in to follow this  
Uber

Raid Q's

ok well last night i finally got off my lasy butt, and installed my other 250 Gig Seagate drive, so now i had 2 and i figured i would try RAID.

so i setthem both up for Raid 0 off of the Nforce controller on my motherboard, and i noticed teh speed gain right away when i installed windows on the array.

i did all teh raid driver things, yadda yadda, got into windows and was impressed by the speed gain. i then setup and formatted 2 new partitions on teh array, 75 for windows, 200, and 200. after they where formateed i tested with transfering some software between

so i took 700 megs from one of my 120 Gig IDE drives, to teh array and it transfered nice and fast, then i tried transfering tha smae file from one partition of the array to annother, and it took more than twice as long...

i also notice when im multytasking that my system will momentarily freeze, just for 10-20 seconds at a time. this is all new since i setup teh array, as i was 100% stable before the array.

these little freezes, as well as slower transfer between teh array partitions, im starting to think its not worth it for the small speed boost it does give wheil loading things, i might go back to a single drive configuration. as it doesent give me enough of a boost to justify it....

You said you did ALL the RAID drivers, that inclues the nVideo IDE driver which is nessasary for RAID to work right. Also it could be from some of yoru other drivers, i notice a lot of stutteing on windows untill i get the newest display driver.

Are these drives ATA or SATA? if they are ATA they need to be on differnt channels. otherwise you get bottlenecked.

ok let me clarify

they are both Sata drives being controlled by the Nforce4 chiset.

i slipstreamed the provided Raid drivers (off the floppy) into windows, and i installed the nvidia raid thing off my mobo driver disc, and all ym other drivers all all up to date and good.

the little bits of Lag are still here, so i think im going to revert back to a single drive config today, and then when i ge teh 2 raptors ill play with RAID some more...