Sign in to follow this  
henbenley

Activation Locking Me Out?

well a month or two ago I had to reinstall windows because of a HD crash. everything was backed up so it didnt really matter that much. But today I'm in the middle of playing BF1942 and it reboots, I didnt think it was a big deal. Then when I go to log in again, it says that windows needs to be activated, so I hit the button to activate it. The activation window pops up and says thats its already activated, then I hit OK and it logs me out. Safe mode is no help at all.

I dont want to have to reinstall every month because of activation.

Does anyone know why this is happening all of a sudden?

Try running a Repair from OS Disc.

Or call MS up. :D Yea riight.

Try running a Repair from OS Disc.

Or call MS up.  :D  Yea riight.

603709[/snapback]

I'll try that.

If I called MS they'd tell me to buy thier software, which I did. Then they'd crap me over and say too bad.

EDIT: I just tried a repair and it didnt work at all, same problem.

Edited by henbenley

So wait.... its saying you already activated it, but it still won't let you log in? Thats weird as heck.... I remember there were a couple of files that windows checks to make sure they are activated (they are specific to your computer so swapping them with someone elses won't work) But I was thinkin..... maybe you could use partition magic, make a small partition (like 2 gigs or so) and install windows XP on that. That will give you the new files, you could then copy them over to your old installation? I know that if you modify these files from the very beginning it will give you a 90 day activation period rather than 30.

Before attempting this though I would definately call Microsoft...I know I know everyone hates dealing with them, but I got locked out once because I waited too long and they just gave me an over the phone code. :) Good luck.

there are ways to avoid activation but you have to be able to log in atlest once.

we cant discuss things things here :(

Yea, you can just use a crack. (this is legal if you own the software)

Or you can just download another version install that see if it works (once again legal because he owns the original software)

what happened i think is the system reverted back to how it was at a previous date. even with system restore i've had that happen. pushing overclocks i've had the system hardlock.. and cold booted it back up only to find that software i've installed in the last month is NOWHERE to be seen..

what you might have done is reverted the system back to a certain point by windows crashing on you, a point before you activated it, but because the date in the BIOS stayed the same, it sees that it's been over 30 days, but still isnt activated.

I would call microsoft, it's actually not that bad...

I had a very similar situation last month, I clicked on 'activate windows by phone' (or similar) I got a activation code on that same window, I think it was in this format ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ******

When I got a rep on the phone (about 1 min wait) I gave that ^^ activation code and she gave me a new product key and I activated with no probs. I hope this helps you.