Sign in to follow this  
Woodhead2k

Need Input

Aight for the past week i have been thinking about upgrading my video card to the XFX 7800GTX. I currently have the FX 5950 Ultra and its having some temperture issues running new release games like Need for Speed Most Wanted and ever AOE3. However all the new gen cards or PCIe (obviously) but i have a Skt 478 (P4) that doesnt support PCIe. Asus is the only company right now that has a skt 478 motherboard that supports PCIe, but have only found it at zipzoomfly, and has been out of stock for awhile now. Should i spead around $1000 for a new mother board for a P4 skt T 3.4GHZ (has a 3.0GHz skt 478 right now) and the 7800GTX or wait for prices to drop and maybe new hardware to come out? My system is about 2 years old right now.

:ph34r:

I would just say save your money and build a new computer using skt 939 and get that new video card.

im an intel kind of guy and really dont know what im looking at when i see AMD, but would the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ be an alright card to buy, what is the intel version of it??

Ack.......

The Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is not a card bud and talking equally it would be hard to set AMD and Intel next to each other. Both offer differnt things

ah sorry ment to say chip, ok well basically i only know which AMD is better than the other by the numbers the description say. so would that chip be some what of a good investment that i could OC and use for about 2 years?

forget about uber video card, get something around $150 now and it will own your 5950

6800NU/ X800x

all you need to know if that you probably should consider soemthing mainstream and proven so that you can get help if there are problems, and you have the trust in it working since other have tried it..

a socket 478 PCIe board is kind of uncharted terrain and I don't think it would be worth your money..

and AMD processor is exactly like an Intel processor in that it.. processes.. :)

An AMD X2 series will give you great multi-tasking, and make it so that future applications that will run on true dual-core (talking a few years here) can do so on your system..

Intel's equivalent is the Pentium-D line, not as good as a performer from benchmarks as the AMD..

I'm an AMD guy - but I really and speaking unbiased here: AMD processors have a better bang for their buck right now, there is no way aorund it. Except for coding type applications.. server applications on a desktop machine, audio/video editing/rendering and production will do a bit better with a Pentium right now, just as they always have since the P4...

but for gaming and average desktop use, in general, an AMD64 chip is on top at the moment.

So - think about the X2 line for what it is, don't just say well it looks cool, it's expensive, and I've heard things about it.. It's like true Hyper-Threading, great for doing a bunch of stuff at once, but for the average user who needs only a couple programs that are given alot of processing power, games mostly, a single core will do great!

It's your choice, but know what you are thinking about buying, that was my mistake starting to build my 1st systems, I thought I knew what I was doing, talking on this site whipped me into shape.

just glad you are (unlike many) willing to take people suggestions into account. some people prefer learning things the hard way.

so thanks for the thanks!