UkJenT

Hey,

I am thinking about building this rig.

CPU: Athlon San Diego 4000+ or Athlon X2 4400

MB: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

PSU: PC Power and Cooling 850W

RAM: G.Skill Extreme Series 1GB

VC: 2 eVGA GeForce 7800GT

K, this is it so far. I can decide on a case and optical drives on my own. I'm thinking about trying water cooling this time. I haven't decided yet. Oh, and I am sure I want an LCD TV 30 inch. But i need to do my research first. Advice is welcomed. Also, I'll be using this future rig for heavy gaming, video encoding, and other things.

not an expert here, but i think you should go with G.Skill 2gb dual channel or Mushkin 2gb dual channel cause one 1gb isnt even enough for a single 7800gt. also the 510w should run nicely enough on your build, that way you got extra money to buy the ram :lol: . a good WC case i like is the TT Xaser case Armor series

Edited by Krazyxazn

i woudl say teh 850 PSU is overkill as well, i mean honestly iv got a 600 and this is overkill....

also if you can space 330 bucks for the Mushkin redline you will love it (mine came yesterday) its simply suprb ram. but if you cant that will still be a uber computer.

get the x2 for teh cpu or go for an opty. the mobo and psu are very nice (the turbo cool 850 is one of the best on the market), id say get muskin ram tho. as for the video cards, got 1 7800gtx 512 mb, and get another at a later date when you have another 800-1000$ to spend. trust me you will be WAY happeier with even 1 of those 512 gtx's than the dual gt's. im a bfg fanboy, so get the bfg 7800gtx 512, it will be down right worth it. keep us updated, looking good!

oK, many of you say the PSU will be overkill for my system. hm... Let me see. Now this is just an estimate and everything would habe to be at full load.

PSU = San Diego = 89W, and the X2 = 110W

Ram = 2 sticks = 20 W

2 Video Cards = 182 W (91W each)

2 Optical Drives = 50 W

8 Sata HDDs. hehe = 104

MB + Keyboard + mouse = 43W

Sound card = 7W

2 PCI cards = 10 W

6 USB devices = 15W

4 80NM Fans = 12W

2 120NM = 12W

3 Cold Cathodes = 9 W

Total = 564 at 100% Utilization, which would probably not happen often. Hm.. thinking over PSU now.

not an expert here, but i think you should go with G.Skill 2gb dual channel or Mushkin 2gb dual channel cause one 1gb isnt even enough for a single 7800gt. also the 510w should run nicely enough on your build, that way you got extra money to buy the ram  :lol: . a good WC case i like is the TT Xaser case Armor series

603017[/snapback]

Isn't an 850W PSU just a slight bit overkill?

Other than that it looks nice.

603020[/snapback]

get the x2 for teh cpu or go for an opty. the mobo and psu are very nice (the turbo cool 850 is one of the best on the market), id say get muskin ram tho. as for the video cards, got 1 7800gtx 512 mb, and get another at a later date when you have another 800-1000$ to spend. trust me you will be WAY happeier with even 1 of those 512 gtx's than the dual gt's. im a bfg fanboy, so get the bfg 7800gtx 512, it will be down right worth it. keep us updated, looking good!

603037[/snapback]

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

I agree with all these points. Get 2x1GB of RAM. Go for a single GTX instead and then upgrade later if you want.

and for a psu, how bout this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194004

less than half the price you were looking at and still overkill

ps. there's about a 0.000001% chance of you ever having full load.

ClayMeow,

thanks for the PSU recommendation. I'll be looking into the ram. Hm... I already have an eVGA 7800GTX for the current rig I just built. Maybe I'll buy the same one and a eVGA 7800GT for my current system.

Edited by UkJenT