Sign in to follow this  
cold_snipe

Seagate Buys Maxtor

same with me, i have a 5 year old 20 gig maxtor thats been going, and still going in my main rig

on the other hand i have 2 segates, both sata that quit on me

Tho i'm not pleased about the buying, less competition between HD manufacturers mean higher prices

602434[/snapback]

yes and no. It really depends. If they can consolidate and streamline their manufacturing and design processes, it would cause lower overhead, which would lead to lower costs, which in turn would lead to lower prices to consumers, as long as WD is right there competing alongside them. These things don't happen overnight though.

All I've mainly used are Maxtor drives, and none have quit on me (except one, but that's because my w/c got water on the molex). As far as I know, they're very reliable. WD, on the other hand, is pretty good, but IMO, MUCH louder than maxtor drives, much too loud for my preferance. To tell you the truth, I think the HD market is just extremely inconsistent. I don't know why, but some areas have horrible luck with Maxtor, others with WD, and other with Seagate.

hasn't everybody noticed that hard drive opinions are all based on personal experience?

I prefer Seagate over all..

But I prefer Maxtor over WD..

Out of the hundreds of dead drives I've replaced in my day.. WD's have ben the most prevelent, but I have 2 right now just cause other people swear by them and they do fine.

All I've mainly used are Maxtor drives, and none have quit on me (except one, but that's because my w/c got water on the molex). As far as I know, they're very reliable. WD, on the other hand, is pretty good, but IMO, MUCH louder than maxtor drives, much too loud for my preferance. To tell you the truth, I think the HD market is just extremely inconsistent. I don't know why, but some areas have horrible luck with Maxtor, others with WD, and other with Seagate.

602446[/snapback]

LOL, maybe because the HD is the only fast moving mechanical part in the PC (not counting cd/dvd drives) Maybe thats why its the only componant that is spread out over differant brands

ive had maxtor, and western digital. i liked both, now i have a seagate and i like it also lol. only thing about the seagate ive noticed over the other ones is its quieter. but thats all.

edit: oh and maybe it was just me, but the seagate seemed to weigh alot more than my WD. maybe more heatsink area?

Edited by virus

LOL, maybe because the HD is the only fast moving mechanical part in the PC (not counting cd/dvd drives) Maybe thats why its the only componant that is spread out over differant brands

602450[/snapback]

yeah. harddrives are basically the most sensitive components in a computer, so odds are high that at some point in one's computer "life" they'd experience some sort of problem, so really, it's just whatever brand you happen to have at the time. heh.

Owned all brands of hard drives and I must say I like the Seagates best. Bettern than WD, better than Samsung, etc. That's just personal preference. I can't say I've had a Maxtor live much more than 2 years, and they're noisy as all heck and run freakishly hot.

If this makes me a fanboy, then so be it.

well, WD is NEXT on the list of companies that will have to kneel before toshiba.

maxtor and seagate isn't really much of a suprise to me :( considering maxtor was nothing more than the marketing end of quantum (by FAR the best drives availible). Seagate will hopefully put thier idiotic bearing system away and simply use the atlas bearings.

of course no one botherd to note that toshiba and samsung are now one in the same (TCCD memory, TSST optical). it's going to come down two companies just like the cpu world.

also clay makes a good point... except for the part about the hard drive being the single most important component with moving pieces that spins as often as it does. the more it's used the more likely failure IS.