Opterons

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, lets look at a few things here. Venus = San Diego

Q: why do we see venus chips OC'n higher?

A: when was the last time you saw a site talking about OC'n an A64 chip of the same week as the Venus? you won't, old A64 vs new Opteron

Q: why are we seeing more Opterons OC'n higher?

A: statistically A64's of the same week are more likely to end up in rigs that CAN'T oc due to sales to places like Sony, HP, Gateway ect. if you were to start checking them out, you'd have an even % of the two chips that OC just as well.

Q; why would AMD bring these opterons out?

A: overstock of san diego chips. sales of venice vastly higher than san diego. instead of dropping the prices of ALL of thier 1mb cache E stepping A64's they rename some of them and clear em out. problem solved.

statistics aside, i'd put money on an opteron bought now oc-ing higher than it's san diego equivalent... (ie. both cpu's bought now, not old versus new, now vs now... not week vs week, cpu bought now vs. cpu bought now)

i'll see how it goes with my 170 dual core opteron... :)

statistics aside, i'd put money on an opteron bought now oc-ing higher than it's san diego equivalent... (ie. both cpu's bought now, not old versus new, now vs now... not week vs week, cpu bought now vs. cpu bought now)

i'll see how it goes with my 170 dual core opteron... :)

603214[/snapback]

it's week of production that makes the difference. 6 weeks ago (example here) 1000 opterons and 1000 san diego A64's were made. I'd be willing to bet the same number of chips from each could hit the SAME top speeds. I'm not talking about a week 2 A64 vs a week 2 opteron (duh the athlon would be a much earlier production)

vx and redline is winbond based ram... i don't think anyone in the world has made it to 300mhz with winbond ram... not dual channel anyway...

winbond ram is like 250-280 @ 2-2-2-x-1T

601844[/snapback]

^

i have OCZ Plat Rev.2 TCCD modules, and they BSOD my system at 3.05vdimm, and they only do 2.5-3-3-7 1T @ 2.85vdimm at 235Mhz

You just got a crappy set :lol: . My old ghetto hynix-b RAM does those same exact timings and mhz(takes 3v tho, but it does it). Also, tras 10 wont show a performance hit but will help stability in most cases.

Being able to take more volts isnt always better. With a chip that clocks as high as these recent chips are its really a shame to not go for some good quality tccd :)

Not gonna get into the a64 vs opty debate becuase they are physically the same chip ;)