Wondered What That Noise Was

bigred

gallery_4758_98_435424.jpg

gallery_4758_98_383448.jpg

gallery_4758_98_426039.jpg

:( drove her a little hard even after something didn't seem right. now I have to wait till monday to even ORDER a new engine... most likely a brand spanking new 460 crate motor.

exactly no... I just know I have a bad piston, the head is shot, the cylander is trashed... it's time to retire that engine... it's got a LOT of miles on it, some of which havne't been the kindest either :( and seeing how that's a rare model V8 :( parts for that thing are nearly impossible to find.

it's brother the 460 is much more common.

in the mean time I have another truck in need of some work so I can get rid of it :(

the 473 is the problem. sure I could overbore it... but that wouldn't help for the other problems. finding a new head, pistons that are slightly larger than stock would be impossible to get... heck the stock stuff is darn near impossible(you either have em slightly smaller for the 460 or HUGE... neither would fit).

the 473 was only produced for a few years by ford and only for super duty F350's and up. Ford figured customers would either buy a 460, a v10, or power stroke instead of a larger V8 for trucks :( such a shame though.

I got lucky with that block, pulled for a totaled F450 many years ago. served me well, but now with that bronco going into service as an everyday vehicle at the park... she NEEDS a reliable big block v8. oh well I still have new axles to put under this thing anyway :)

going to take the axles off the bronco today and hopefully mount them under the escelade tomorrow. LOTS of welding needed to finish that mess.

after that the motor and trans for a chevy 2500 HD are going in it... hmm should just shorten this mess and put the caddy body on the frame of the HD.... now look what you've done... made me come up with another idea :)