Geforce 6800 Gt Defective?

mac173

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At max, many people's computers do.

599911[/snapback]

Apparently, mine did. I remembered something this weekend, and it kinda proves the PSU is my problem.

I was playing around with the idea of using two monitors, so I hooked up a spare one using a converter to the DVI connector.

The monitor worked, but exibited the same problem as I have when I hooked up the 6800 GT......... a predominance of green. I thought the monitor was shot.

I remembered that this weekend, so I got industrious and got another machine set up, and what do you know? Nothing wrong with the monitor when it was hooked up to the machine alone.

I guess two monitors was eating up too much power. It was NOT the DVI connector or converter, cuz I hooked up both my primary and the secondary monitors with it, and so long as I had only one monitor, it was fine.

I had a busy weekend............

Well, I installed the PSU tonight, and booted up.................

GREEN SCREEN.........

Everything that was supposed to be blue (like the task bar in windows) was green instead.

Just on a hunch, I broke out the DVI to Serial converter, and put the monitor on the DVI connector.

Everything is fine this way. All the collors are bright and crisp. The serial connector on the card must be bad

I even ran 3DMark3, and got an 11642. My score on the old card was 1403.

Now, do I return the card, or just leave the monitor on the DVI connection?

Erm... even the 7800GTXs don't use 100 watts at load.

And when you factor in other things, most systems use about 250-300w, and we're talking high end ones. It's more about the rails and amps.

598869[/snapback]

EVEN a 7800?

Havent you heard, 7800s are much more efficent than 6800's and actualy use LESS power?

the psu IS a problem, i have a 400w and it barley runs my system in teh sig.

601421[/snapback]

I'm keeping the PSU, it will give me flexibility for future additions and possible mods.

I guess I will RMA the vid card (sigh). I HATE getting defective stuff, it takes SO long to get the darned things replaced.

I'm keeping the PSU, it will give me flexibility for future additions and possible mods.

I guess I will RMA the vid card (sigh). I HATE getting defective stuff, it takes SO long to get the darned things replaced.

601427[/snapback]

true, but at least you have your former videocard to fall back on for now. You'll be happier in the longrun. How pissed would you be if 30 days from now, it's not just the vga connection, but the dvi goes as well?