Geforce 6800 Gt Defective?

mac173

drivers have nothing to do with its display during boot.

350W is NOT enough for a 6800GT, sorry.  Get at least a 500w.

598820[/snapback]

Erm... even the 7800GTXs don't use 100 watts at load.

And when you factor in other things, most systems use about 250-300w, and we're talking high end ones. It's more about the rails and amps.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm... even the 7800GTXs don't use 100 watts at load.

And when you factor in other things, most systems use about 250-300w, and we're talking high end ones. It's more about the rails and amps.

598869[/snapback]

yeah, and show me a 350w psu that has good rails/amps :P

yeah, and show me a 350w psu that has good rails/amps :P

598871[/snapback]

Ok, this brings up a good subject for me, cuz I am pretty clueless on PSU's.

What do I need in the way of rails/amps?

What IS a rail? (I know what amps are).

Is there a stickied post I missed?

And thanks for the help. I have learned more in the past few months reading these boards than from anywhere else.

Hey i had this same exact problem when i got my new card. I had it running fine. Shut down to connect my interet connection and bumped the monitor cable I guess. But when I got back into windows all the colors were exactly as you explained. I wiggled the monitor cable where it plugs into the card and It changed to normal colors instantly. I shut down and made sure the card was as down in the pcie slot as it would go and re connected the monitor cable, and i torqued the crap out of the screws to keep that cable connected. Rebooted and I haven't had a problem since. I also thought it was the PSU but obviously that was not the case. I would try that first before getting a new monitor.

alright KB, you got me. Those are decent, though still not near what a 500w could give you. Nice and cheap though, I'll give you that.

mac, rails refer to the voltage lines on a psu (+3.3v, +12v and +5v being the ones you have to worry about), and there is amperage associated with each one. Check out KB's link and you'll see it'll say "+3.3V@22A", so the +3.3v rail has 22amps available to it.

alright KB, you got me.  Those are decent, though still not near what a 500w could give you.  Nice and cheap though, I'll give you that.

mac, rails refer to the voltage lines on a psu (+3.3v, +12v and +5v being the ones you have to worry about), and there is amperage associated with each one.  Check out KB's link and you'll see it'll say "+3.3V@22A", so the +3.3v rail has 22amps available to it.

599114[/snapback]

Thanks, that explains much.

I saw, and bought, this PSU today. I have not opened it, so let me know what you think. With what you have said, this one may be lacking, but I am not sure. I don't have an SLI MOBO, so it may be good for me. Here it is.....

Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 550W Power Supply

Guest Raven65
drivers have nothing to do with its display during boot.

350W is NOT enough for a 6800GT, sorry.  Get at least a 500w.

598820[/snapback]

I'm with Clay, now way is that PSU strong enough. You must remember this everything in your computer is eating up wattage so you might only have 200w to power it. Good PSU, It should work fine. (the antec)

yeah, and show me a 350w psu that has good rails/amps

Enermax EG365P-VE. Worked well for me when I was powering four hard drives, two optical drives, and a 9700 Pro AIW. Some people have to stop living off of DFI's stupidity for power supply requirements. :withstupid:

I'm with Clay, now way is that PSU strong enough. You must remember this everything in your computer is eating up wattage so you might only have 200w to power it. Good PSU, It should work fine. (the antec)

599796[/snapback]

And when it only uses 60 watts, you're safe.

Seriously, find me a system that eats up 400 watts of power that an average gamer can afford.

18amps on your 12v rail hold most things. i also had a video problem and it was the cord, wiggle wiggle and your set.

kb my computer eats up 400watts, indeed it does. also when it says watts on the psu, it usally means the max and when you hit that its on overload. cheaper psu says 550watts or somthing it will only put out 300max.