Which Card!

tdborg

I'm with nerm here. Why would you go from a 7800 gt to an xl800? That's ludicrous.

Why don't you just stay with the better card. SLI is still better than crossfire. Don't just jump on a bandwagon. Save your money for something that you need.

598192[/snapback]

dude, learn to read before posting! he said it's FOR A FRIEND. geez

anyways, x800gto is your best bet with that mobo, as that mobo is a crossfire mobo, not an sli one. As for being able to do crossfire with it, it depends on what you mean. The way crossfire works is you need a crossfire card, and then you can plop in anything from that series to go alongside it. That is NOT a crossfire-enabled card, but rather "crossfire-ready", so later down the road, if he decides to go with crossfire, he'd have to make sure to get a Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition.

lol, trust me im perfectly happy with my 7800gt.

ClayMeow thanks for that, im starting to understand wat crossfire is now. Ok i'll get him the X800GTO and i'll tell him that when he can afford another card he should get a crossfire edition to make it work.

I though you had to have two identical cards, thats why i was having so much trouble with it!

Thanks for the help guys! :D

lol, trust me im perfectly happy with my 7800gt. 

ClayMeow thanks for that, im starting to understand wat crossfire is now.  Ok i'll get him the X800GTO and i'll tell him that when he can afford another card he should get a crossfire edition to make it work. 

I though you had to have two identical cards, thats why i was having so much trouble with it!

Thanks for the help guys! :D

598211[/snapback]

Yea you only need identical cards with SLI. With crossfire you just need a regular card like the x800gto and an x800 crossfire edition card. This is one of the advantages for crossfire over SLI.

I would, i personally like nvidia better but he was gona get someone else to build him a system and they brought all ATI stuff. So i thought it would be a waste not to use the crossfire feature!

I would have built him a much better system but he'd already got the parts!

stay AWAY form sapphire whatever you do. go with nvidia

598442[/snapback]

I don't really know what you are trying to say. Nvidia makes the chipsets, Sapphire is an excellent brand unless you can say otherwise. That card is better than the x800gto at stock but overclocked I'm pretty sure it owns the x800xl. **Note, the x800xl have been known to be horrible overclockers.

Stay away from Sappire... yup... even though their X800GTOs are great overclockers (as are the Connect3D X800GTOs), and you'd have to screw . up yourself.

nVidia sells chipsets to other companies to be put on PCB. nVidia does NOT make cards. BFG, Asus, and those other companies do. BFG is to nVidia as Sapphire is to ATI, and so on.

EDIT: TD, did he buy a master card? Did he buy a Crossfire supporting board? If not, he can't use Crossfire.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger