Sign in to follow this  
Boz657

Psu Connections

I had had some trouble with my PC freezing and not booting correctly which I believe I have traced to a dodgy PSU.

It would boot up ok but wouldn't load all of my task bar icons and the processor appeared to run at about 1/3 speed, confimed by doing some graphics benchmarks, whatever setting used in FEAR gave exact same results (I didn't have a reference 2D benchmark to compare).

Restarting the machine allowed it to boot the same way, but turning it off and turning the PSU power switch on and off and then rebooting allows it to boot OK and perform correctly.

If anyone has any other suggestions on this then please let me know.

Anyway, I've bought a nice new PSU, went to install it and my MOBO has a 20-pin connection, the PSU has a 24-pin. I've seen convertors for the opposite situation for people with new MOBO's and old PSU's which boost the 20 pins on the PSU to 24 pins. I would like to know if the opposite one is available, which would reduce the 24 pins on my PSU to 20 pins so I can attach it to my MOBO. I've searched the net and can't find anything. If anyone knows where you can get one - PLEASE post a link to it.

Thanks

Keith

Please don't Double Post, youll piss the Mods off.

If the mobo connector is 20 pin and the PSU one is 24, I think most power supplies have the extra 4 pins break off, or they should.

There are adapters available, Check out

newegg.com

Zipzoomfly.com

Im also sure a local bestbuy or comp USA would have them.

Btw: what power supply did you have? And what one did you replace it with?

If your computer problems continue after the the New PSU is attached, there may be others problems including, bad video card, bad motherboard, bad RAM, SPyware and Virus infections and currupted or degrading OS.

Sorry about the double post - wasn't sure which topic was best so thought I'd try both!!

Which pins would I break off? I'd thought that but none of the colours on the wires match.

The new PSU is a Jeantech 400W cheapish one. The original was what came with the case and is not named I don't think.

Pretty sure there is no malware on my system and I only installed XP a couple of months ago. I have ran Memtest overnight with no fault found and I have tried all my cards in a diff pc (6600GT and a X-Fi soundcard). I'm intending to get a new MOBO anyway soon. I need one with Skt 754 with both PCI-E and AGP so I can eventually upgrade my graphics card. I know there are a few MOBO's like this, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thes pin will only break off, IF they are ment to break off, don't do it if its one solid connector.

Post will be Edited as soon as I can.

More often than not 24-pin PSUs have the extra 4 pins either slide off or pop off. If they don't (solid 24-pin connector) then you can either use the adaptor, or if there is enough room around your ATX connector you can just plug it in and the extra 4 pins will hang over the edge. I've done it before.

More often than not 24-pin PSUs have the extra 4 pins either slide off or pop off.  If they don't (solid 24-pin connector) then you can either use the adaptor, or if there is enough room around your ATX connector you can just plug it in and the extra 4 pins will hang over the edge.  I've done it before.

597203[/snapback]

:withstupid: All the psu's I looked at recently (for a server system that I actually need a 24-pin connection for) have the "extra" 4 pins as an attachable piece. If the manual doesn't say anything, look at the connector closely and see if you see a notch of some sort 2pins in on either side.

If you're not sure, it always helps if you actually tell us what PSU you own.

:withstupid: My Tagan has a four pin section that slides on/off, and the four pin P4 connector also has a slidey bit to make 8pin (i don't use it...)

Sorry about the double post - wasn't sure which topic was best so thought I'd try both!!

Which pins would I break off? I'd thought that but none of the colours on the wires match.

The new PSU is a Jeantech 400W cheapish one. The original was what came with the case and is not named I don't think.

Pretty sure there is no malware on my system and I only installed XP a couple of months ago. I have ran Memtest overnight with no fault found and I have tried all my  cards in a diff pc (6600GT and a X-Fi soundcard). I'm intending to get a new MOBO anyway soon. I need one with Skt 754 with both PCI-E and AGP so I can eventually upgrade my graphics card. I know there are a few MOBO's like this, any recommendations would be appreciated.

597196[/snapback]

According to the Jeantech web site the connection is "dual use" so I'm thinking that you should be able to remove the extra four pins that you do not need.http://www.jeantech.com/400.htm

ALL of my PSU's have them, iv got 2 antec 450's and my Enermax 600 and they all have the breakaway extra 4 pins.

:withstupid: My Tagan has a four pin section that slides on/off, and the four pin P4 connector also has a slidey bit to make 8pin (i don't use it...)

597213[/snapback]

the 8pin config is for server boards with dual-cpus (or dual-cores).

Here's a useful diagram. I know it's not the PSU you have, Boz, but it's a nice diagram of how the different configs are created and what they're used for:

powerconnectors.jpg