Sign in to follow this  
Louie57703

Help Me Hit 3ghz

Ok for the love of me I can't get 3ghz (stable).

I did the max cpu speed thing found on dfi-street and mines close to 3.2ghz so i know i can get 3ghz, but i'm stumped.

settings for 2.9ghz (stable)

Mobo - DFI NF4 SLI-DR

CPU - 4000+ san diego, 12 x 242fsb, 1.47V

Ram - OCZ D400 512MX2, 1:1 ratio @ 242, 2-2-2-5-7, 3.2V

PSU - 600w

My tempts @ 2.9ghz are well within being stable (32C idle, 47C load.. games only push it to 45C load)

I haven't really messed with much other than fsb and voltage and the ram divider and that yeilds me not much in the way of getting 3ghz stable.

but things i've tired

- fsb @ 250, lowering ram divider to 9/10 - can't load windows

-- upping the CPU voltage to 1.55V (makes cpu like a heater but tempts stil within reason) - windows loads but restarts

Other than that i'm lost.

Nice with those timings and increasing the voltage to the cpu from 1.47 to 1.57, and giving the ram a little more voltage it works stable, but cpu temps push +60C (Hit 62C and pc restarted because i have bios set to shutdown/restart if cpu time gets higher than 60C), but the timings chnaged it from being unstable to stable.

But why do i have to give my cpu a .1V to work stable... i mean from 2.5-2.9ghz it would be stable with .025V increases (sometimes no Volt increase needed at all for it to be stable).

Also a little off topic what would be a good cooling kit (fan or water) to drop the +60C load @ 3ghz to about 50ish C at load maybe a little less. I'm using fan that came with cpu (just a basic cpu fan) and basic thermal grease stuff that came free with the package. (Money wise i would have to say $150 max... its xmas time and i'm already over the budget lol)

Nice with those timings and increasing the voltage to the cpu from 1.47 to 1.57, and giving the ram a little more voltage it works stable, but cpu temps push +60C (Hit 62C and pc restarted because i have bios set to shutdown/restart if cpu time gets higher than 60C), but the timings chnaged it from being unstable to stable.

But why do i have to give my cpu a .1V to work stable... i mean from 2.5-2.9ghz it would be stable with .025V increases (sometimes no Volt increase needed at all for it to be stable).

Also a little off topic what would be a good cooling kit (fan or water) to drop the +60C load @ 3ghz to about 50ish C at load maybe a little less. I'm using fan that came with cpu (just a basic cpu fan) and basic thermal grease stuff that came free with the package. (Money wise i would have to say $150 max... its xmas time and i'm already over the budget lol)

597393[/snapback]

That chip should run 3ghz with an xp-90c and decent fan - no need for wc unless you really want to push it(it is out of the range you set anyway)

597393[/snapback]

There's no gradual, even, curve for how the CPU will respond to voltage (well, only in the most general sense). You just have to give it what it wants to take it where you want it to go. My 3700+ will go right up to 235x11 on stock voltage, needs 1.55 to get over that bump into the 240's, and about 1.625 for where I am now (260x11). Go figure.

To fix your cooling issues, get a Zalman CNPS-9500Cu. I have that on my sandy 4000 @ 2.8 @ 40 degrees MAX during load. I havent gotten to 3 ghz yet, I think the ram is holding me back. Good luck with that.

Edit> They have dropped down in price, and can be had for around 60 bux.

Edited by flashystylez

you could try dropping the voltage and see if it stays stable, the big bump was just to give it extra insureance, drop it to teh stable point, and if you can drop it some it will shave a few degrees off your temps.