Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fried_fry

Which Linux Disro. Should I Choose?

Guest Fried_fry

I am looking to get into linux but i dont know which i should chose! I have selected a few but do not know which is the best for me (im a total n00b at linux)

Here they are:

- Mandriva (aka Mandrake)

- Knoppix

- Fedora

- Linspire (aka Lindows) [only thing i dont want to pay for it :unsure: ]

- MEPIS

- Ubuntu

- Kubuntu

Im thinking probley one of the first three, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Fried_fry

Guest Fried_fry

ok ill try that and post after completion!

any other suggestions would be great! :typing:

EDIT: Im having troble with DL'ing knoppix

Edited by Fried_fry

It kind of depends on what you want it for. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I use Fedora Core at work. It's a good full-featured programming environment with IPv6 support and scads of development tools and libraries. RPM functionality makes keeping the software up to date a breeze.

However, neither FC3 nor FC4 support my video card (ATI X700 -- I know, my bad...). Mandriva, on the other hand, does a much better job of being a good USER'S distro. Internet access works out of the box, ATI support is strong, but the programming environment installation is weak(er).

My best advice is get all you can. Fedora Core, Mandriva, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian, and Knoppix are all free. You can check out www.linuxiso.org for 15 different free Linux distros. Heck, try them all. (Especially if you have high speed internet access.)

R.

if i remember right, fedora is about the most noob-friendly one with one of the largest user bases around. so as a noob i would reccomend that one. personally, i like slackware, if you dont mind a non-graphical installer, i would say try it out. what are you looking to do on your linux box? anything specialized or just normal use?

edit: just was browsing around and found this install guide, didnt read all the way through it, but looked nice. might help out allot with installing.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=327281

I always recommend shopping around. Distrowatch is a good one-stop shopping site-- they give you a synopsis of nearly every distribution out there, provide links for downloading and support, and even have top 10 and top 100 popularity lists.

However, neither FC3 nor FC4 support my video card (ATI X700 -- I know, my bad...).  Mandriva, on the other hand, does a much better job of being a good USER'S distro.  Internet access works out of the box, ATI support is strong, but the programming environment installation is weak(er).

596570[/snapback]

Hmm, that is weird. So far I have gotten ATI drivers to work with every OS, sometimes you just need a new kernel, and then the drivers work.

As for your distro, for first time, I would recommend FC, suse, redhat, etc, etc. I would not recommend linspire/lindows, IMO those teach bad habits. Anywyas, linux is easy and fun and free! :P

The ATi cards usually need the fglrx kernel module for X installing too, regardless on distro. It was a lot easier on my ubuntu box than any other distro I've used before, though.

One thing I have learned in the past, is that sometmes, a good n00b distro is the last thing you need. I used Mandrake for five or so years and when I moved away from it, I realised I knew little more than I did whe I started, I didn't know how to configure fstab, or dhcpd, Mandrake does it all for you, and while that's nice, if you don't want to tinker, it doesn't help you learn the workings of linux. I'm looking at Linux From Scratch at the moment, but I'll have to wait for a new testing machine I can't afford the downtime if I screw up!!

Guest Fried_fry

Im going to try Ubuntu. Im wondering, does it have a boot manager? (can choose to go into Windows or Ubuntu)