Sign in to follow this  
habitual geek

Cheap People

So I sold my computer parts Friday night on ebay, as i do from time to time when it is time to upgrade, and always do so with great success glad to say.

But this one item seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMESO%3AIT&rd=1

is giving me trouble, or the buyer anyhow

so maderaarabians won the memory, cool, so three days later "she" circumvents the ebay checkout, and sends me a direct Paypal payment, for the incorrect amount, she sends me $142.50 + $4 with a note as follows:

Please send 1st Class + $.55 delivery (web tracking) confirmation it is the most efficient /secure for cost. I'm paying the s/h USPS is USPS. Please Paypal Refund the USPS overpayment (then they don't charge me to accept it)would be appreciated :"). USPS s/h should be less than $4.00 from anywhere in USA if done as above. I've got 2 Gig BH-5 from NY NY $3.95 many times . Box will be stamped with USPS fee and you'll email me if I owe you more after sent. I checked UPS it's $1.50 more, but they keep breaking everything lately. And UPS claims is a nightmare. I only want what's fair/true/correct.

now.......at first i am thinking, ok, no biggie, it's $2.85 difference, but then it got to me, the principle of it all, by bidding on this item, "she" has agreed to the legally binding agreement to pay the high bid price, plus all shipping/handling charges (which were able to be calculated before bidding), yet she somehow thinks it is appropriate to circumvent the checkout, avoid paying the shipping charges as per the listing, and decides that SHE is going to basically DEMAND that I ship it to her for less than agreed, and at my cost if it exceeds $4, or if it costs $3.50 for example, I am supposed to Paypal her .50 cents back..............

so i decide NO, I am the SELLER, i make the rules for my listings/items, and if she couldn't handle the extra $2.85 she should have never bid on it, and furthermore she never contacted me at all prior to the auction end

so i reply:

I received your paypal payment. However, there seems to be some confusion. You did not use the ebay checkout system and did not pay the required amount. In response you your note on the payment:

Please Ship To

XXXXXX(edited for obvious reasons)

Please send 1st Class + $.55 delivery (web tracking) confirmation it is the most efficient /secure for cost. I'm paying the s/h USPS is USPS. Please Paypal Refund the USPS overpayment (then they don't charge me to accept it)would be appreciated :). USPS s/h should be less than $4.00 from anywhere in USA if done as above. I've got 2 Gig BH-5 from NY NY $3.95 many times . Box will be stamped with USPS fee and you'll email me if I owe you more after sent. I checked UPS it's $1.50 more, but they keep breaking everything lately. And UPS claims is a nightmare. I only want what's fair/true/correct.

You need to fulfill your legal obligation and pay the remaining balance of $7.40.

Message to follow.........

and then followed by

To follow up to the last message. I find it unsettling that you feel I should change the way I do business on account of you don't feel what's here is right.

1. I do not pay for your shipping, as per the listing, you are responsible for all shipping and handling costs, and these costs are determined by me, the seller. If you did not agree to these costs you should not have bid on the item.

2. The difference between what you would have been asked to pay ($149.35) to ship to 90731 and what you paid me ($146.50) is a total of $2.85. On top of that you want me to pay for the optional web tracking confirmation (.55 cents).

So for $2.30 I am supposed to package the memory, drive the package to the post office(gas is not free), and ship this from Atlanta, GA to San Pedro ,CA.

Unfortunately this is not how it works. My previous message listed your remaining balance incorrectly. You still owe the $2.85, for standard USPS shipping, I will go ahead and give you the .55 tracking.

and...

I am sorry this has to be so confusing, but you owe $2.85 in order for me to ship the memory to you, if you wan't web tracking confirmation you need to pay the additional .55 cents as well, it is after all, an option you requested.

You have paid $146.50, what you should have paid was $149.35. The memory will be right here waiting to ship until the remaining balance of $2.85 is paid, and any additional services requested will need to be paid in full at this time also.

No shipping costs will be refunded, you want the item, you pay for the item, according to my terms or you move on to the next item, you have agreed to buy the item under the agreed upon terms in the listing, so now you need to fullfill your legal obligations.

And in the future, do not circumvent the ebay checkout system, it's there for a reason, please use it.

and then....

You have three choices, you may:

A. send the remaining balance of $2.85 to my Paypal account and I will ship your item well packaged, to the address you specified on the Paypal payment

B. you can send the $2.85 + .55 = $3.40 to my Paypal account and I will ship your item with tracking feature, well packaged, to the address you specified on the Paypal payment

C. You can do nothing further, and I will drop your item in an envelope with a stamp and send it on it's way to the address you specified on the Paypal payment, this is what you get for your $4.

As per listing, I am not responsible for shipping errors and you should ask questions before bidding to avoid this situation.

That's what my shipping and handling charges cover, packaging(well packaged), fuel to drop it off at the Post Office, and my time(I get paid $26/hr to do my job, and my personal time is much more valuable than that, so consider this a bargain)

You have 4 days before option C is initiated by default.

and here she finally replied:

Listen fancy pants. I'm 71 years old and old enough to be your grandma. I've lived longer than you or your parents. I have RAM shipped all the time in little used left over recycled boxes (not envelopes)by USPS 1st class for about $2.85 + with $ .55 USPS delivery confirmation for web tracking and proof of delivery. So wake up and stop giving ultimatums when I'm paying the bill for the product AND my own shipping young man. And grow up. Learn how to respect your elders. We elders made the world you live in with our sweat and blood in work & wars for the American easy way of life you take for granted. So don't talk down to me or hold my product hostage. I bought 118 products in the last 4 days and you are the only one giving me trouble and talking down to me.

so at this point i am thinking, yeah, okay, i have looked at your feedback, and it seems very unlikely that a 71 yr old woman is buying BH-5 and TCCD memory and motherboards and such at such a high volume, right?

so i replied...........

You disrespected ME by circumventing the system and then working out your own deal in your own mind without ever communicating with the seller, ME. It's not personal, it's a matter of principle. Fact is, you agreed to the terms of the listing by bidding on the item. You may be able to dictate how other people conduct their listings, but not me. If you served in the war, I salute you and thank you, but that is not relevant here.

Why didn't you just pay for the item, through the checkout system, and pay as agreed?

I sold 9 other items that night, and do you know that those 9 items were paid in full, as agreed, and those 9 packages went out today, packaged exceptionally, and they will arrive in perfect condition, all as agreed. I don't understand why you are the only one that wants to give me a hard time over $2.85!??

You seem to not understand that when you bid on an item, you are agreeing to ALL the terms and conditions, this is a legally binding contract. You had the opportunity to check the shipping and handling costs before bidding. If the rate was unacceptable to you, you should have contacted me before bidding to see if a deal could be worked out, but you didn't.

What you did was you circumvented ebay's checkout to avoid paying $2.85 more for shipping, then you paid me the exact amount of the bid + $4, and THEN you want to dictate to ME what I am going to do..??

NO, that's not how it works, and you know that, go read the ebay rules and conditions and so forth, unless we agree prior to the lising ending to do something other than what was laid out before you, you are agreeing to pay according to MY TERMS, because I AM THE SELLER.

Do you order something from Sears.com and negotiate or demand that you only have to pay what YOU feel is reasonable for shipping/handling? NO

Don't try to take advantage of me, and don't tell me how to run my business.

Again, you have three choices, I suggest you choose option A or B.

and then i noticed one of the "positive" feedbacks said the following and sent her this message...........

"ONLY BECAUSE I SAID I WOULD, DIDN'T WANT TO PAY S&H LISTED IN AUCTION. HOSTILE!"

ebay item 6819205558 Nov-21-05 13:56

looks like esellnow*net didn't appreciate you trying to manipulate the price of the item either, i thought you said i was the only one giving you a hard time?

The only person giving you a hard time is yourself, if you don't agree to the terms and conditions of a listing, you need to not bid on it and move on to another chump who will give in to your HOSTILE attempts to save a buck by attempting to DEMAND things from those who have items for sale.

I don't care who you are or what you have done, when someone has an item for sale, the price is the price, unless the SELLER agrees to come down on it, the BUYER does not have the ability to DEMAND a lesser payment.

Take this as a lesson, most people like it when you do what you say you are going to do instead of trying to "jew" them out of a buck or two.

so as of now, if I dont see $2.85 in my paypal acct, i will be dropping two perfect sticks of TCCD memory in a regular letter envelope, stick a stamp or two on it to get it there, and thats that, she gets what is coming to "her", it has nothing to do with the $$$, and everything to do with teaching her a lesson that this is not how business is handled by me, you pay or you go home, we have an agreement, i keep my end as long as you keep yours

Edited by habitual geek

thats the way to fight the man (or old decrepid woman) in this case

but gj dude, sometimes u gotta teach the elders a lesson!

I mean i would've done the same thing, i hate when older people demand things just cause their older.

I would've just taken a bird and tied the ram to it and let it fly, if she wants her memory she can hunt it down, thats what she gets for 4 bucks heheheh :-D

but seriously dude, u rule for doing that

Edited by CoolMaster

sounds like your fighting a battle with norman bates dude...

glad you ain't backing down... what a dick

Don't let her (more than likely a man, trust me) push you around like that, she has to pay your shipping rates. My uncle used to charge like $5 to ship a pokemon card in a standard envelope, it's how a lot of people make money of off their auctions.

yeah, and the whole thing about it is, by the time i pay the ebay listing fee, final value fee, and get the paypal fee taken off each amount i receive, the extra $5 handling i get is long long gone

she sent $146, i ended up with $141, so if i ship it and it costs $4, i will have gotten $137, take out listing fee of like $8, $129, and final value fee, i end up shipping her the memory for like $125

now i understand alot of those fees are mine to eat as the seller and the "cost of doing business", but i will be gosh darned is i am going to let her dictate to me how i conduct my listings!

that is retarded, sometimes people put more in the shiping cost to actually make some of thier money, it is all part of eBay and understandable, u clearly listed it to

w/e

Refund the paypal payment and make a second-chance offer to the next lower bidder.

596290[/snapback]

i was going to, but after looking at her history, seeing she has done this to other people, and taking into account her attitude, i aim to give her whats commin' to "her", she can pony up and get the same thing everyone else did, or save $2.85 and take a chance

i'd start up one of those non-payment disputes... that way, if she doesn't pay up the right amount, she (norman bates lol) will get a non-payment strike against her account...

i'd start up one of those non-payment disputes... that way, if she doesn't pay up the right amount, she (norman bates lol) will get a non-payment strike against her account...

596313[/snapback]

i think i may do that, i had thought about it, and figured since she paid 99% of it they may not allow me to do that, but then again, she didn't use ebays checkout system, so as far as ebay can tell, she hasn't paid anything at all, she has it marked as "payment sent" on her end, but i never marked it as "payment received" on my end, because she has not finished paying for it yet

i'm almost certain one of the options is something along the lines of "buyer has paid the incorrect amount"