Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

So, I Just Found A Phase Change System...

I was going through my brother's closet, looking for a PSU, and I stumbled upon what looked like a copper coil. I pulled it out... next came a system of cappilaries...

And yup, I just found a phase change system :D. R-134a is the refridgerant. No block on it for cooling though.

So... use it or sell it?

I was going through my brother's closet, looking for a PSU, and I stumbled upon what looked like a copper coil. I pulled it out... next came a system of cappilaries...

And yup, I just found a phase change system :D. R-134a is the refridgerant. No block on it for cooling though.

So... use it or sell it?

596120[/snapback]

what is a phase change cooling system exactly? a frig on your cpu?

phase change as best i understand is running a freon line through a tube onto a block that sits on your cpu. freon enters the block and expands, dropping the temperature faster than a fat man drops his diet at a free buffet. expect temps for a good one something like -40 to -50*C the freon then leaves through a different tube and goes back into the compressor where the freon is then (can you guess?) compressed. and then sent back to the cpu block. its the mackdaddy of all cooling methods. unless you have an unlimited supply of liquid nitrogen. that would pimpslap any phasechange system.

omg, that is the coolest thing I've ever heard of, couldn't you just use a chemical like that in a wc setup, or does it have to be refrigerated for it to work?

it needs to be refrigerant, because the freon needs to be compressed and when it enters a place that it can expand is when it drops the temperature. its the expansion of the freon that cools. hence why it needs to be compressed again, so that you can recycle the freon. theres no room for a compressor in a w/c setup. especially considering water does not compress hardly at all.

edit: ijagwalaafq posted a link to one in his post above. it was discussed in this thread a couple days ago.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/Is_This...el_-t61256.html

It doesn't matter if the refrigerant drained out anyways, inorder to put a block on it you would have to cut the pipes anyways...sell it or part it on an extreme forum and buy a PSU if you need one, needs over wants.