Sign in to follow this  
krazymonkey500

Overclocking A 3200+ Venice

Alright, in the near future I want to start overclocking this beast of a machine that I built. Here are the contents.

A64 3200+ Venice

DFI NF4 SLI-DR

(2x512) G-Skill 4400LE

SilverStone Zeus ST65ZF 650W Power Supply

BFG 7800 GT

Everything is running stock ATM. I know this system will be able to do wonders, I just want to know what I'm doing before I start. I want to get this HSF sometime arround Christmas (Will probably buy it)

Zalman CNPS9500

Right now, however, my CPU runs extremely cool on the stock cooler (24-26 degrees C) when idle. I'm tempted to try an overclock before I get the cpu cooler, but I'm hesitant.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions to achieve maximum results. Possibly a step-by-step program for me to follow. Thanks for all of your help.

The stock cooler should be fine for now, just don't push the voltage past stock until you get a better heatsink. The best advice I can give you for now is to run a ram divider and go for the max CPU speed at stock voltage first. Later on you can work on your ram timings/voltage for 1:1 speeds.

The stock cooler should be fine for now, just don't push the voltage past stock until you get a better heatsink. The best advice I can give you for now is to run a ram divider and go for the max CPU speed at stock voltage first. Later on you can work on your ram timings/voltage for 1:1 speeds.

596121[/snapback]

Well this ram easily goes to 4400 speeds, right now they are running at 3200 speeds. So my ram can take the FSB, thats not the problem right now. I just don't have a clue what I'm doing. I just read an article here. That seemed pretty helpful.

I guess it will take a little bit of my own experimenting. I just don't want to screw up to horribly.

And try to speek in the most noobish overclocking terms as possible. I get most of the basic terminology, but when reading something like 1:1, I go dyslexic (in this case I guess it wouldn't matter if I was dyslexic, lol. but you know what I mean)

With a little bit of research, I was able to find out what 1:1 was. In my understanding, it's running your ram at the same frequency as your cpu? I probably have that screwed up.

your close, its having your ram at the same speed as your fsb. the 1:1 ratio is comparing your ram to your fsb. and your cpu speed is your fsb times your multiplier.

Guest Raven65

If you are looking at that hs don't buy it. Buy the ThermalRight xp90 or the xp90c.

A better heatsink is the best way to get a good OC. Good RAM, which it looks like you have, is also a great thing. YOu have a great mobo and a great OCing processor. Your PSU is good too, so I'd say you are just about ready to get started.

If you are looking at that hs don't buy it. Buy the ThermalRight xp90 or the xp90c.

596219[/snapback]

The heatsink I'm looking at is rated better than the xp90.

The xp90c was my initial HSF of choice, but then I saw this one in a magazine, and it is a lot better.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that people claim the xp90 sits on top of your ram as well, this one doesn't do it directly, but still blows air on top of them.

This HSF is also much much quieter than the xp90.

The heatsink I'm looking at is rated better than the xp90.

The xp90c was my initial HSF of choice, but then I saw this one in a magazine, and it is a lot better.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that people claim the xp90 sits on top of your ram as well, this one doesn't do it directly, but still blows air on top of them. 

This HSF is also much much quieter than the xp90.

596562[/snapback]

It doesnt cool as well as an xp-90 with a tornado(even with the 'nado at 1/2 speed), but yes, it is quieter.

That zalman CNPS9500 is better than the xp90c hands down. (without the exception of an airplane engine in the room *tornado*). I ran both on my 4000+ and overclocked to 2.8ghz my temps never go above 40 at full load. The xp90c with a 115 cfm tornado on it was about 38 degrees at full load, but you cant hear anything but BZZZZZZZZZZ through the room. I would sacrifice 2 degrees for peice of mind and quiet..

Edit> The zalman is good, i would go for that one, for a measely 2 degrees, you can get your ears back.

Edited by flashystylez