Sign in to follow this  
wootas

Opteron 148 Ram Divider Question

I have a 148 cabye 542 I just got today and am going to be building a new rig with a dfi nf4 sli-dr and I was looking at some memory. I decided I want to go with some tccd for high bandwidth but I have never build an amd system so all of my experience is with intel chips. I am not familiar at all with the memory divider on the amd chips. Say my chip hits 3000 mhz, which would be 273 HTT x 11, if I ran 1:1 I'd only be at 273 mhz, and I'd like to push the ram further, if possible, around 300 mhz. I'm not sure what ram dividers are available on the amd chips but would there be any way for me to run 3000 mhz core speed and 280 - 300 mhz memory speed on a 148 opteron with 11x multiplier?

If the default multiplier is 11X, select a multiplier of 10 X 300 if your ram can handle 300mhz 1:1.

596117[/snapback]

Exactly. You can set the multi to 10 and run the fsb at 300.

Generally, the dividers are used to run the memory at a lower speed than the chip, not higher. I use mine to take the memory out of the equation. I usually start my OC process with the divider at 1:2 so the memory runs very slow. Then I see how far the chip will go. Once I'm confident the chip will run at that top speed, I bring the memory back up to speed and find the tightest timings for the whole setup to be stable.

I have a 148 myself, and I actually found that I could get a bit higher on the same voltage by going from 11x to 10x. I even tried 9x, but that didn't seem to be worth it.

Oh I was under the impression that the CPU multi was locked. So does it work like, the 148 has x11 so you can run x11 or lower, and the 146 has x10, so you can run x10 and lower, etc.?

Oh I was under the impression that the CPU multi was locked. So does it work like, the 148 has x11 so you can run x11 or lower, and the 146 has x10, so you can run x10 and lower, etc.?

596126[/snapback]

Yes, exactly. Generally, when people say a chip's multi-locked, it means you can't go higher than it's marketed at. I've never had a chip that couldn't go lower, though they do make them.

Ok cool so I pick up some ram that can run 300 mhz easy and set the multi to x10 and I should be set for 3000+ core, sounds good. Thanks a bunch guys.

Man this sucks, everyone getting there opterons now, while mine is gonna be here tomorrow but I have to wait till christmas. Good luck with the overclock.

Ok cool so I pick up some ram that can run 300 mhz easy and set the multi to x10 and I should be set for 3000+ core, sounds good. Thanks a bunch guys.

596150[/snapback]

you don't need 300mhz ram at all... see my sig? gives me better performance at 10x307, 5:6 = 256mhz ram, than 10x304: 1:1 = 304mhz ram...