Street Racing And Drifting.

Propane

Ok, so for all you that have been bitching all week long about street racing/drifting, I found some nice little stastistics... are you ready? Here we go!

First off, lets look at how many people per year are killed street racing... well, I got these from the NHTSA...

- In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.

Wow, thats a LOT of people right there... but get a look at these numbers

- In 2001 (for comparing the two years sake), the NHTSA recorded a total of 42,196 fataltities... 17,400 of these were from drunk drivers...

Now lets take a look at the percentage break down...

- Drunk Drivers... 41.2%

- Street Racing... 0.3%

dang! Thats pretty small, I wonder if that up insurance... lets go to the folks at Liberty Mutual for why...

Oh, to be a teenager with a car during the summer.  No school, late nights and the joys of cruising the highways and byways with friends.

Unfortunately, this seemingly innocent scenario turns tragic more often than most of us would like to believe.  New survey results from Liberty Mutual and SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions/Students Against Driving Drunk) indicate that teens succumb to more risky in-vehicle behaviors during the summer months that lead to crashes, serious injuries and, oftentimes, deaths, than during the school year.  This data sheds light on why motor vehicle crashes remain the number-one cause of death* among young people in America.

According to the 2003 Liberty Mutual/SADD Teen Driving survey, as conducted by RoperASW:

* More Driving

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to drift whenever it was slick outside, but I gave it up after I hit a tree. It was a corder I'd drifted a dozen times before, but it was really cold out so it was partially iced over, so I couldn't get out of the slide. Haven't drifted since (11 months ago)

i think i need to find a bigger can of worms :(

valid points, sure. but you guys know as well as i do that not everyone is going to agree here!

595785[/snapback]

yeah I know, I just want it out of my thread talking about drifting, nothing ruins a day like people taking something you put work into and saying "YOU SUCK!!!!! GO GROW UP"

Well if you'd like me to lecture you on drunk driving instead I could do that.

It seems to me like you're either looking to start another flame war or trying to find justification for your actions. Sure, street racing may not be of the magnitude that drunk driving is, but your thread wasn't about how awesome you were for driving drunk now was it?

I'm not going to get involved any further than this post.

Kevin your points are valid and I respect them except for one thing:

Drunk drivers show poor judgement, somebody sober should be able to use common sense and take racing to the track.

This is a touching subject for me because my buddy Jimmy was killed by a street racer.

Constable Ng was assigned to Richmond, BC Detachment. Constable Ng was responding to a routine call and was going through a solid green light when he was struck on the drivers side door by a 2003 Honda Civic which was moving at a high rate of speed. As a result of the collision Constable Ng was killed instantly. The driver of the other vehicle was picked up by a second vehicle and fled the scene.

Subsequent to the investigation and a manhunt for the suspect the suspect turned himself in with a lawyer on hand. Three charges have been laid against the driver. Criminal negligence causing death, fail to remain at the scene of an accident and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. The driver who had just received his license was street racing at the time of the incident. Two counts were laid against the driver of the second vehicle who picked up the suspect and helped him flee.

On October 8, 2004, the driver of the car that collided with Constable Ng's vehicle was sentenced to 18 months in jail for criminal negligence causing death and an additional six months for leaving the scene of an accident.

Constable Ng had been with the RCMP for 6 1/2 years. He is survived by his parents. He was one of the few RCMP who were able to work in their home town. He grew up in Richmond and died exactly 1 mile from the high school from which he graduated.

Like I said Street Racing is for the track not for public roads or highways <_>

Well if you'd like me to lecture you on drunk driving instead I could do that.

It seems to me like you're either looking to start another flame war or trying to find justification for your actions. Sure, street racing may not be of the magnitude that drunk driving is, but your thread wasn't about how awesome you were for driving drunk now was it?

I'm not going to get involved any further than this post.

I was trying to end your bitching... I succeded... thanks

Bosco, I am very sorry for your loss, however, we did this in a very safe manar... if I believed the street racing would in ANY WAY harm others that had not already entrusted me with their life, I would not of participated...

statistics show number of fatalities... death before dismemberment mean anything to you? I know it does to me. I'd rather be dead tahtn loose a limb or end up a vegitable for the rest of my life, and I'm sure I'm FAR from the only one who sees it that way. your little blurb on death behind th wheel fails to look at this aspect... so once again you're looking at a small sliver of the big picture.

1. It's illegal.

2. That's over one hundred families that were destroyed because of cocky teens like you. No wonder this generation is looked down upon :anger2:.

595851[/snapback]

:rolleyes: Yes, kids like ME...

No, I think you are refering to people that do this weaving in and out of traffic... Id be suprised if anyone knew we did this, besides you all on here...