Now They Are Targeting Lyric And Tab Sharers!

Mr_Yuck

I was searching for a tab the other day and it said 'Withdrawn at copyright owner's request'

Seriously though, this isn't really a matter for debate. There are people who own the rights to the music, and if they don't want it to be replicated for free on the internet, then they have the right to ask for withdrawal of the tab, and if not they have every right to prosecute, it's no different than reproducing a copyrighted book on the net.

Seriously though, this isn't really a matter for debate. There are people who own the rights to the music, and if they don't want it to be replicated for free on the internet, then they have the right to ask for withdrawal of the tab, and if not they have every right to prosecute, it's no different than reproducing a copyrighted book on the net.

598149[/snapback]

Exact-a-mundo.

That was one of the points I was trying to make.

So when does a very near approximation of a song become infringement of the copyright?

I for one don't think I have seen many tabs where I think it has been 100% accurately reproduced.

Edited by jammin

That was one of the points I was trying to make.

So when does a very near approximation of a song become infringement of the copyright?

I for one don't think I have seen many tabs where I think it has been 100% accurately reproduced.

598167[/snapback]

It's a good point, but even if the tab is innaccurate, it still represents song x, song x being copyrighted.

Meaning they can -

a) Ask whoever is hosting it to take it down

b) Sue for lots of money

I just don't like the way that an industry which is basically based on the creativity and communication of ideas between people can take such a negative approach to everything.

Edited by jammin

I just don't like the way that an industry which is basically based on the creativity and communication of ideas between people can take such a negative approach to everything.

598174[/snapback]

I have to agree with you on that. It's far from an ideal situation, but I believe people deserve the right to protect the work they've created, and to make a living from it if possible.

It's far from an ideal situation, but I believe people deserve the right to protect the work they've created, and to make a living from it if possible.

598177[/snapback]

I feel that way also, even though I'm not at all a fan of the ham handed tactics of the goons in the music industry, and the largely disproportionate division of wealth between the companies and the "talent".

But the way I look at it, how would I feel if someone copied (it's only a right click away) my web site, made a couple of minor changes, and used as their own? I think I'd be more than a little put out.