Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Yuck

Now They Are Targeting Lyric And Tab Sharers!

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005...ght_051209.html

Internet sharing of chords, lyrics targeted

Last Updated Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:06:15 EST

CBC Arts

The U.S.-based Music Publishers Association is calling for a halt to websites that share song chords and lyrics.

The move is an escalation in the copyright war against file-sharing on the internet.

Guitar licks and song scores are widely available on the internet but are "completely illegal," association president Lauren Keiser told the BBC.

The sites seldom have sheet music, such as a music publisher would print, but outline guitar chords for amateur musicians trying to pick out their favourite songs. They also have text of the lyrics.

Amateur guitarists and bass players have long copied popular songs by ear. The internet has become an alternative source for when they can't figure out a chord.

Keiser called for closing of sites that share guitar licks and lyrics and recommended jail time for site administrators who don't comply.

A U.S. Supreme Court decision in June opened the door for lawsuits against file-sharing websites, especially those that encourage sharing of songs and movies.

* RELATED STORY: File-sharing decision quashed by U.S. Supreme Court

The recording industry has begun taking action against websites and software developers, but this is the first salvo by music publishers.

"The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income," Keiser said. "But now the internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we're taking a more proactive stance."

This week U.K. music publisher Warner/Chappell sent a cease-and-desist letter to the developer of song-lyric search software, pearLyrics.

The company claims pearLyrics "enables people to copy and download lyrics" and that is a copyright infringement equivalent to copying songs online.

PearLyrics worked with Apple's iTunes, searching the internet to find lyrics for songs in a user's collection.

"I just don't see why pearLyrics should infringe the copyright of Warner Chappell because all I'm doing is searching publicly available websites," pearLyrics developer Walter Ritter said.

Ritter has complied and killed the application. However, there are dozens of other search engines, including general-use search engines such as Explorer, that can be used to search for song lyrics.

The MPA plans a co-ordinated legal campaign in 2006, targeting the largest, most popular sites that carry song scores and lyrics, according to Keiser. The association has not said which sites it intends to shut down, but says it will pursue strong legal action.

I think this is a suicidal move on their part. I check lyrics before buying music to make sure it's something I want to listen to, I check lyrics when I cant understand what the artist is singing.

Apparently somebody in charge put their finger too far up their nose. :bah:

Next they will target people who breathe without direct permission from God. After all...he invented breathing. and does he get gratuity for every breath we take? Hell No! I think God should get $45.50 every time someone takes a breath. Thievery!

Next they will target people who breathe without direct permission from God.  After all...he invented breathing. and does he get gratuity for every breath we take?  Hell No!  I think God should get $45.50 every time someone takes a breath.  Thievery!

595252[/snapback]

I think the Catholic Church tried that a couple of centuries ago. Made them filthy rich.....

Do I have to pay to listen to someone elses CD now?

595261[/snapback]

Only if you can understand the lyrics.

WTF... has capitalism gone corrupt? what happened to making money off the poor? now we the middle class have to suffer... j/k anyways i find this REALLY stupid. jesus i think we need to replace the old people in the gov with some younger ones that have some god [email protected]/\/\n sense. imo lyrics are great and very helpful. bah wtf is going on with the world. i blame this on soccer parents :lol:

They're going a little too far with the lyrics. As far as tab, sheet, and chords......well back in the old days before the interweb, if you wanted tab or sheet you'd have to carry yourself down to the music store and pay (gasp!) for it. I guess they should just give it away now, eh?

I am a musican myself now I really would prefer people pay for recorded music but when it comes to tab and lyrics I think its different.

I would be proud that people are playing it and you must of already sold a lot of records if people want to play it.

So If I work out a tab to a song that I like and tell a few friends how to play it I'm somehow hurting someone?

I think rather than trying to stop people sharing lyrics and tabs (which has always gone on anyway, even before the oh so terrible interweb.. duh!) they should come up with a way of providing people with these resources in a similarly accessible way at a reasonable price.

They after all surely have the advantage of being able to compile 'accurate' tabs and scores (which alot of the avaible ones just are not).

dang lazy capitalists.. you do have to work for your money you know, I thought that was the whole idea.

You just know that little gem was dreamed up @ the office coke party.

Edited by dean25

Thats messed up, now are they going to try to make the people who figure out the tabs pay a fine for playing copyrighted material on their guitars?