Hardrive Question.....what To Do With 2?

CoolMaster

Ok so i got my 40gig seagate with windows xp on it, it's currently the master drive and my cdrom is my slave drive

i want to get another 200gig harddrive (seagate of course)

So would i set it as master with ideconnector 2?

and then set the cdrom and slave,

or just set it as master of ide 2

and leave the cdrom drive as slave on ide1?

or what would yall suggest, im mainly gonna just get the 200 gig for the files and stuff

i dont really know real well how hard drive arrays and all that work so i dont know whats best, but I really love hard drives :-D

btw how long does a typical hard drive last, just curious?

thx

Edited by CoolMaster

I'd leave the CDROM where it's at let the 200GB drive master on the second IDE channel. This might give you a slight advantage at those times when the computer needs to write to both disk drives at the same time.

Also, it's less work ;)

Typically, hard drives outlast their usefulness-- I have half a dozen 1-4GB drives in my WINS/File server right now, occupying slots that will be held by larger-capacity drives in the near future.

One thing I've found them useful for, actually, is as swap drives.

I'Ve always heard that a HDD plugged with a CD rom on the same ATA cable would slow down the HDD considerably cause it would just work at the slower speed of the two devices :blink:

If it's the case, he's better off with the two drives on the same cable and the CD rom on channel 2 :unsure:

is there any difference between ata100 and ata150?

because I have an ata100 in my comp, is there really a difference or should both work with my comp?

593560[/snapback]

Are you sure it ATA 150?

I thought EIDE harddrives only went up to ATA 133.

The number after ATA defines the speed of the harddrives Data rate across cable.

Anything Above ATA 33, Needs a 40 pin, 80 conductor Ribbion cable to work at its rated speed.

Edited by Ste

Are you sure it ATA 150?

I thought EIDE harddrives only went up to ATA 133.

The number after ATA defines the speed of the harddrives Data rate across cable.

Anything Above ATA 33, Needs a 40 pin, 80 conductor Ribbion cable to work at its rated speed.

595782[/snapback]

So theirs really no difference besides the speed

and so I should just put the cdrom drive on main on idechannel 2?

and make the new hd as slave on the second one?

correct?

General practice is not to mix hard drives and cd/dvd drives on the same cable. I've had lots of problems doing it, and ever since the advent of dual IDE controller motherboards (I think I just dated myself there...), there is no need to mix them. Put your two drives together on the primary, and your cd drive on the secondary.

I'm sure there will be plenty of replies that say "I've done it with no problems", so YMMV. :P

General practice is not to mix hard drives and cd/dvd drives on the same cable.  I've had lots of problems doing it, and ever since the advent of dual IDE controller motherboards (I think I just dated myself there...), there is no need to mix them.  Put your two drives together on the primary, and your cd drive on the secondary.

I'm sure there will be plenty of replies that say "I've done it with no problems", so YMMV. :P

596076[/snapback]

Thats the best thing to do. CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMS are slower then harddrives so its a good idea to put them on a separate Channal.

But yea, put the Extra Harddrive as slave on primary IDE Channel, the HD with the OS on it should be master. Put the CD-ROM as master on the second IDE Channal.

Guest Raven65

Yo cool,

You've been here long enough to know that you should always separate hd's from cd's.

My question is this you mentioned ata100 and ata 150. Is your mobo SATA capable? if not you will need to get an ide hd and that will be ata133.

I'Ve always heard that a HDD plugged with a CD rom on the same ATA cable would slow down the HDD considerably cause it would just work at the slower speed of the two devices :blink:

If it's the case, he's better off with the two drives on the same cable and the CD rom on channel 2 :unsure:

595779[/snapback]

I was in a discussion over this point some while ago, and the consensus was that modern opticals are no longer that much slower than the drives, and since optical use is intermittant for most applications, splitting the HDDs between the two channels would make more sense.

Of course, if someone shows me where opticals are still slower, I'll be more than willing to change my opinion back.