A64 / Opteron Ihs Removal Guide

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Hello All, this is my first post. and I recently poped the top on my Opteron 165. I was originally idle/load of 35/60 which was terrible even with the Swiftech MCX6400V heatsink. So I bought an adhesive remover called SolvoPlast II (the can order it from a medical company in Winnipeg) I submerged the chip ihs down in the solvent. I left it there for 3 hours, when washed the chip off with distilled water (literally poured water all over it to remove the solvent). then I took a single razor blade and cut the corner with minimal effort. I made sure the pressure was always up towards the ihs as i cut from corner to corner. i made max two passes on each side and it was like a hot knife through butter. one push up and the ihs came off no problem.

ihs removal like this couldnt be easier and cost about $6. with the ihs off and my paste fully "burned in" idle/load is 30/46. if you can't get solvoplast II then your just wasting your time. it is by far the fastest, easier and most fool-proof way of ihs removal.

link to SolvoPlast II

http://www.diamondathletic.com/product.php...;txtProdID=1757

Hello All, this is my first post. and I recently poped the top on my Opteron 165. I was originally idle/load of 35/60 which was terrible even with the Swiftech MCX6400V heatsink. So I bought an adhesive remover called SolvoPlast II (the can order it from a medical company in Winnipeg) I submerged the chip ihs down in the solvent. I left it there for 3 hours, when washed the chip off with distilled water (literally poured water all over it to remove the solvent). then I took a single razor blade and cut the corner with minimal effort. I made sure the pressure was always up towards the ihs as i cut from corner to corner. i made max two passes on each side and it was like a hot knife through butter. one push up and the ihs came off no problem.

ihs removal like this couldnt be easier and cost about $6. with the ihs off and my paste fully "burned in" idle/load is 30/46. if you can't get solvoplast II then your just wasting your time. it is by far the fastest, easier and most fool-proof way of ihs removal.

link to SolvoPlast II

http://www.diamondathletic.com/product.php...;txtProdID=1757

Mine was free and all I did was take a razor blade around the IHS. Really depends how comfortable you are.

I think using a razor blade is key... the "adhesive remover" didn't exactly remove the sealant did it? so I'm not sure what the point is in buying a big bottle of medical solvent

It didn't literally "remove" the adhesive, but it does soften it significantly. the razor blade slide through the adhesive with no effort. I had to be careful to control the blade more then concentrate on cutting ohf the iHS. and like Overclocker16 said its all about how comfortable you are. if you aren't too comfortable with removing the iHS, the solvoplast will put you at ease.

i wish i had a good digital camcorder to show my removed iHS after it was off all I had to do was run my finger along the adhesive and it came off (except at the corners). so now if have a clean iHS to keep as a trophy.

• 2 years later...

Pretty sure all the newer CPUs have soldered-on IHS's. You'd need to cut away the adhesive, and then put some razor blades under the corner, apply a slight bit of pressure, and heat the center until the solder melts. It's a lot riskier than the old CPUs that had no solder.