A64 / Opteron Ihs Removal Guide

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice guide, I think a mod should make this a sticky with a BIG DANGER in big bold words right before the title , I have a feeling a noob will try it on his cpu and . it up and then complain how the guide wasn't "clear" enough.

593615[/snapback]

Hey! I take that as an insult!

And hard, REALLY nice guid, NOW I understand what you meant.

Maybe when I am less of a noob I will try it with the processor in my old computer, heh...

it's pretty much like having an athlon xp without the black circle foam things... you can sorta bring the xp-120 down so that when it touches the core it's meeting it flat so there's no pressure on the edge of the core or anything... it's actually a lot easier than trying to get the slk-948u heatsink on, because that chunk of copper just slides all over the place while you try to get the bolts in... even if you hold it!

good music! love D&Bass -

I should have taken a picture of mine, i decided to sand my IHS down with 2500 grit, and i got it to a mirror finish but the center is still silver and the rest is copper so i think it made it concave :( either that or it wasn't flat to begin with.. hard to say now.

i'm gonna do it!!!

Can I do the same to a pentium 4 as "target practice"?, is it more or less the same principles?

597307[/snapback]

Can I also ask you thins Hardnrg, how much resistance did you basically meet, is it hard to cut or is it pretty soft to cut through (so I don't overdue the cutting power I put in).

for me, it was pretty much like trying to cut some cheddar with a bluntish kitchen knife... i've never changed the blade in the knife i used and i've had it for years... if you use a sharp knife or a razor blade it'll probably be a little easier to cut...

but i still reckon it's like some fairly hard cheese :D