A64 / Opteron Ihs Removal Guide

I used a brand new freshly opened razor blade from my chemistry lab and it still gave some resistance, once you get it started it slices through fairly easily. And for the P4, maybe older ones but the northwood cores for shure, and I think the prescott cores are not only held on by the black glue around the edge, but the core itself is also soldered on to the IHS itself, making it impossible to remove. We tried on my friend's 3.0c and thought we just had to give it some pressure to pop it off after the black glue was cut all around, it came off eventually, with half of the core still attached.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me, it was pretty much like trying to cut some cheddar with a bluntish kitchen knife... i've never changed the blade in the knife i used and i've had it for years... if you use a sharp knife or a razor blade it'll probably be a little easier to cut...

but i still reckon it's like some fairly hard cheese :D

598321[/snapback]

I REALLY wanna do it on my 4000+, but Im REALLY scared of messing up.

Trust me when I say it's really not all that bad unless you have no experience with small tools and/or are completely uncoordinated. I'd recommend using a loose razor blade opposed to a utility knife so if you bump into a capacitor network you'll feel it and not damage it opposed to the amount of pressure a utility knife can exert if you hit a capacitor. Start by sawing into the corners of the glue to get under the IHS then push the razor and it will glide through with some pressure, do each corner then the sides, if you feel the razor's smooth path stop you bumped a capacitor so don't freak out but just pull it out and stay away from it, I bumped 2 doing mine and they were all perfect once I got it out and checked with a magnifying glass. Bending the pins really isn't an issue unless you're rough with the thing, I held mine without anything protecting the pins while I did it, took me about 10 minutes, and everything was perfect.

Ok....but before I do it, I wanna ask the all powerful Hardnrg one last question; considering Im going to be very careful, take my time, and very slowly and carefully do this, what do you think my chances of achieving are? What are the average temperatures for the 4000+ on water cooling? what kind of temperature decrease do you think I might reach?

Thanks

I used a brand new freshly opened razor blade from my chemistry lab and it still gave some resistance, once you get it started it slices through fairly easily. And for the P4, maybe older ones but the northwood cores for shure, and I think the prescott cores are not only held on by the black glue around the edge, but the core itself is also soldered on to the IHS itself, making it impossible to remove. We tried on my friend's 3.0c and thought we just had to give it some pressure to pop it off after the black glue was cut all around, it came off eventually, with half of the core still attached.

598325[/snapback]

My northwood still had the crappy epoxy on it, so i ended up taking part of the core with the IHS... Heres a tip, maybe you should work on it while its still in the socket... i bent a lot of pins on P4 3.2c while trying to grip it

My beloved 3.2c in half... http://forums.overclockersclub.com/Ihs_On_..._Go-t59751.html

* i ended up taking part of the core with the IHS...

*i bent a lot of pins on P4 3.2c while trying to grip it

*My beloved 3.2c in half

599625[/snapback]

See, thats whats scaring me from doing mine :ph34r::unsure:

Edited by Psychotic_god

Ok....but before I do it, I wanna ask the all powerful Hardnrg one last question; considering Im going to be very careful, take my time, and very slowly and carefully do this, what do you think my chances of achieving are? What are the average temperatures for the 4000+ on water cooling? what kind of temperature decrease do you think I might reach?

Thanks

599615[/snapback]

6 degrees of idle temp for me, 12 degrees off load temp (celcius)

The P4 has soldered their core to the IHS in alot of cases.. SO, that's why I'd never do it to an Intel.. ever.

For AMD64's, piece of cake.. I did it to mine lastnight, all went well. I bent some pins, and I cut into the PCB board, which I thought for sure kiled the chip, but it's clocking 2.6 now at 32 Idle... 38 Load... I'm happy. As I said, I'm going to be putting the IHS back on after extreme lapping on both sides and a decent way to attach it without using corrosive glue.