Will This Opty Oc Well?

I just upgraded from an A64 3200+ venice to my shiny new Opteron 148.

The stepping is CAB2E 0545CPAW

now, I've heard of the CAB2E line, but a 0545... and further more, a CPAW? with an 'A' no less!

Has anyone heard of these OCing well? Hopefully up to 2.9 or beyond?

EDIT--------------------

So exam week is over and now I can mess around with my system

just put in the opteron with everything stock, running at 2.223ghz at 35C idle and 42 load. does this seem high to anyone else? especially at stock? shouldn't it be more like 30/38 or something. So i replaced the paste with some arctic silver (origional) and the temps went down 2C... meh, s'ok i guess.

Ran Sandra and PCMark2005, scored where a 2.2ghz 64-bit chip should be compared to the others in Sandra, and got a 3591 on PCmark. So in about a couple hours, I'll update again with some OC tweaks

Edited by Keg_Stand

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and further more, a CPAW?  with an 'A' no less!

Has anyone heard of these OCing well?  Hopefully up to 2.9 or beyond?

592864[/snapback]

That chip should OC very well. 2.9ghz with air cooling is certainly possible.

I'm pretty sure thats the stepping I'll be getting. I ordered a OEM from monarch and I google the stepping and a lot of people get that stepping with the oem chips, many have hit about2.8. One person claims he got 3ghz, google the stepping and you'll see. BTW. where did you buy yours

I got mine retail from zipzoomfly just the other day.  I like having the little extra warranty  :D

593267[/snapback]

That warrenty will last for about 20 minutes, or as long as it takes for you to start overclocking the thing.

Thats why I think its a waste to go with retail chips.

the extra warranty part was sarcasm (hence the smilie). I dunno... I just always bought retail. whether it was the case badge sticker you get or the HSF... dunno either way, the box is worth showing off if I can get this little beast to OC where I want i to

Edited by Keg_Stand

• 2 weeks later...
My Opty has exactly the same stepping... but its 144 only...

You think guys I can hit 2.8 atleast at 1.5V max on my proc?

Thanks!

600864[/snapback]

make your own thread...

2.8 might be pushing it on a 144, that 9x multi kinda holds ya back a little, but 2700 is feasible