They're Here

bigred

well the new power wagons arrived today... new 6.1L hemi's over the older 5.7L (I know not much of a difference when you're talking that size V8). again the variable displacement for gas savings. but I'm not 100% happy. for one the engines are no more powerful than the smaller model :( and the newer color of red is just a little funky. I was trying to keep all the work trucks the same color, and the new ones are just a touch darker.

the new durango for hauling the family around down here arrived too. the new 06 rides a little smoother (hard to imagine over the 05 even) but seems a little slower off the line (this one has variable displacement unlike my other one in detroit).... but I think it has more to do with the milage difference of 114k vs 21 (yes 21 whole miles on it). hopefully I'll just get used to it or it'll take care of itself.

well, the 5.7 Hemi like in my 05 Quad Cab outputs 340 hp, the 6.1, at least in the Charger is supposed to output 420 hp, so the displacement does make a difference, but i think the real horsepower by the time the variable displacement feature gets done is nearly the same as the 5.7 without it, i think there are only select times when you can actually get that extra HP

i am sure in 6 months if not already there will be a power programmer or replacement ECU that will bypass the variable displacement for those who care less about gas milage and bought a 6.1 Hemi for more power !

Since the Power wagons are pretty much just trail rigs can the variable displacement be turned off? I have not read to much about it and my 04 doesnt have it. If the 6.1 is more powerful than the 5.7 then that is one strong beast.

see it's also nice on the trails too. these trucks will be on partrol, idling a LOT through out the park. there will also be times that they'll be parked next to a mud hole while hooking up the winch to pull something free. but they'll also be used for everything from fetchign office supplies at the store, to post office / bank runs, to the garbage trucks going from camp site to campsite. In truth diesel's would have been a little better for some of these apps, however the cost of haivng a larger underground diesel fuel tank installed for the pumps would have been an issue, along with mechanics versed in diesel engines... plus the truck of choice with a 7.3L diesel would NOT have been a dodge 3/4 heavy duty power wagon, it would have been a Ford F350 FX4 super duty... @ nearly 2 times the price EACH

thus far I haven't taken one out on the trails to see how the 6.1L performs next to it's older brother because they got here so late. alas tomorrow is another day.

15 power wagons for business, 2 family durangos, a commander, an F350, an excursion, 5 broncos. of course that's spread over 3 states now. oh and the escelade, which is in transit down to georgia so I can work on it here in the "garage"

god the insurance company loves me :( and I hate them

the 05's do a great job for an off the lot truck even though they are very well mannered on the road too (electronic detatch sway bars and all). I figure they might be a little more expenisve than say a regular 2500, but I'd have to sink an extra $8-10k into one to get the same results while voiding the warrenty from dodge. so it's prefect for what I need.

also remembered the huge weight difference between diesel and gasoline. excursion with a 6.8L V10 weighs 400lbs less than a 7.3L diesel :( so the difference down to a 6.1L V8 should be pretty decent too

Edited by bigred

pics of them all? 12 power wagons, 1 bronco, a durango, and the escelade project (still in boxes mostly... at least what of it has arrived in here) in georgia (this project is litterally giving me grey hair :) ). 3 power wagons, 2 broncos and the excursion in colorado (at least that's what I've added, there are actually 20 other trucks up there too). 1 bronco at my cottage in michigan, 1 more at U of D's mechanical engineering center ("borrowed" by my brother for a class assignment), an F350, durango and commander at home too.

so pics of them all together get a little tricky. spread over 3 states and 5 locations total :( and as of monday, the power wagons will be out about the park... EMPLOYEES start monday. so going around and checking up on things becomes priority #1.

well, the 5.7 Hemi like in my 05 Quad Cab outputs 340 hp, the 6.1, at least in the Charger is supposed to output 420 hp, so the displacement does make a difference, but i think the real horsepower by the time the variable displacement feature gets done is nearly the same as the 5.7 without it, i think there are only select times when you can actually get that extra HP

i am sure in 6 months if not already there will be a power programmer or replacement ECU that will bypass the variable displacement for those who care less about gas milage and bought a 6.1 Hemi for more power !

592796[/snapback]

Actually the 6.1 in the Charger only makes 420hp because of the much upgraded intake and exhaust, capped off by WAY more aggressive camshafts. Notice the HUGE increase in hp from 340 (the R/T model I have) to 420 and the not-so-huge increase in torque?

RED, I thought the 6.1's dont have MDS on them. The dealership told me the SRT-8 Chargers would not have MDS and most likely would be getting around 12MPG.

Finally, there is already a fix to turn off MDS and traction control on the Charger, so the PW shouldnt be far behind I would imagine, though I personally like getting 22MPG from my HEMI.