A Sound Card Does Make A Difference

Kamikaze_Badger

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, unless your lacking cpu power, there's no point for a gamer to get a sound card.  Most gamers use headphones, not some uber 7 speaker setup.  Personally, I love my 7.1 Realtek 850 (i think that's what it is) onboard sound.  And wtf are you talking about volume?!!  since when does onboard sound limit your volume????  I can crank mine up and hear it thru the whole house.  Hell, when people aren't home, I've cranked it up while in the shower and can hear it even over the ceiling fan and water (and we're talking about the shittiest two-speaker setup ever....from the compaq i had 8 years ago).  When my 3500+ no longer cuts it, THEN and only then would I ever consider throwing money at a sound card.

592747[/snapback]

what are you talking about Claymeow sounds cards make all the differnce in games, even if you still have headphones you gain about 10fps in almost everything...onboard really holds your fps back

if you dont have money get a $25 sound blaster live 5.1, the old ones werent very good b/c they where based on audigy 1 these babys are audigy 2 backbone. i like the idea behide X-fi and how they use the "Ring" to do the decoding, but my audigy 2 other than limited to 6.1 is still more than i could ever use..some people say you gain even more fps b/c now your sounds card will do the prossces so fast that your cpu is laggin behide now..but maybe 2 fps jump. pointless for $150. although i did notice when i turn EAX on ever since EAX 3 came out it seem to lower my fps just a little, maybe 2-5fps..

what are you talking about Claymeow sounds cards make all the differnce in games, even if you still have headphones you gain about 10fps in almost everything...onboard really holds your fps back

593127[/snapback]

er...i tend to disagree with your statement completely here. sorry, but i think that this is a very incorrect statement to make! Losing 10fps for using AC97? i think that this is a tad wrong!

er...i tend to disagree with your statement completely here. sorry, but i think that this is a very incorrect statement to make! Losing 10fps for using AC97? i think that this is a tad wrong!

593166[/snapback]

Not to mention everyone seems to think every sound card in the universe is a Creative Labs card with hardware processing of EAX stuff. My sound card doesn't have any hardware on it for EAX processing as far as I am aware, but that doesn't make it crap :P

I might gaining a few extra FPS if my cards software algorithms are better than that of the onboard nvidia ones, or I might be loosing some FPS if my cards software algorithms are worse. I don't really care, as I dont notice.

A dedicated pci sound card will free up a few extra fps over onboard ac codecs simply because it uses it's own sound processor.

ok it wont rock your world but you should see 3+ extra fps in most games and sound process heavy apps, and 10+ fps average is within reach on some older cpu's.

Ive seen it happen on peoples pc's in the shop tme and time again.

And i do recomend to people a

Edited by dean25

i still think the difference is neglible i'm afraid. the sound quality via my amp and floor standing speakers will be better with a dedicated sound card, we all know that, but fps wise, nobody is going to notice.

older computers never really had much integrated sound anyway - people chose not to use them because quite frankly, they sounded god-awful.

what's a "sound processor" anyway?

The reason even old sound card will dominate onboard is cause of all the static always moving through it, it interferes with the sound. Im was so excited about my DFI SLI-DR's onboard sound module, but it looks like Ill have to get a sound card after all, I didn't buy my Z-5500s to end up with a crappy sound card (onboard).

592535[/snapback]

so what ur basically saying is that my onboard nvidia 8 channel sound is worse than my old pci 5.1 sound card?

i still think the difference is neglible i'm afraid. the sound quality via my amp an d floor standing speakers will be better with a dedicated sound card, we all know that, but fps wise, nobody is going to notice.

older computers never really had much integrated sound anyway - people chose not to use them because quite frankly, they sounded god-awful.

what's a "sound processor" anyway?

593177[/snapback]

That would be the processor on the soundcard for processing sound

Your nvidia onboard is ac's ALC850 so it's just onboard ac97 8.1 ALC850 my onoard 7.1 live would pwn that pos codec.

Edited by dean25

how very amusing. it's replies like yours that annoy some. i assume you mean the chip that creative uses for processing 3d sound on their sound cards?

well, it may free up a few fps, but it doesnt mean the sound quality is any better, which i might add, is what this thread is about, not getting better fps, which i might add, is imo possible, but until i see a FRAPS video, i am indifferent.

as for better quality sound cards than those of creative on the market, are you implying that they will all free up fps? because i disagree. as markie says to me - "it depends on the drivers" and so true that statement is sonny.

That would be the processor on the soundcard for processing sound

593183[/snapback]

Well then, show me the "Sound Processor" on my card please?

As far as I am aware my card, and *most* other non Creative Labs sound cards for that matter, do absolutely *nothing* for 3D audio processing in hardware. There's no hardware on the card to perform such a task. No "Sound Processor". So the only place I can get extra FPS in my games is if the drivers for my card happen to implement the 3D sound algorithms in a more efficient manner than that of my onboard drivers.

A dedicated pci sound card will free up a few extra fps over onboard ac codecs simply because it uses it's own sound processor.

593174[/snapback]

Well then, show me the "Sound Processor" on my card please?

So the only place I can get extra FPS in my games is if the drivers for my card happen to implement the 3D sound algorithms in a more efficient manner than that of my onboard drivers.

593190[/snapback]

well i assume that it would have to be pretty "sound intensive" to free up more than a single frame per second, right? because algorithms for sound cannot be so inefficient that cpu cycles are destroyed :lol:

and in what situations are we talking about to be that intensive? because i can only imagine games require a lot of 3D processing of sound, and that suggests one should buy a Creative card. otherwise, i dont see how FPS are freed up. why? because unless your card supports 3D sound (ie/ has a "sound processor") the game locks it out so wont demand the processing.

see why i disagree? my AC97 doesnt support EAX etc, so the game disables it, thus not saving any FPS.

lol im saying good hardware sound >good software codecs for so many reasons.

quality

less cpu intensive

better drivers & support

like i said ive seen it time and time again so i will never beleve otherwise uness i see different.

Im done here :blink: