A Sound Card Does Make A Difference

Kamikaze_Badger

A dedicated pci sound card will free up a few extra fps over onboard ac codecs simply because it uses it's own sound processor.

ok it wont rock your world but you should see 3+ extra fps in most games and sound process heavy apps, and 10+ fps average is within reach on some older cpu's.

Ive seen it happen on peoples pc's in the shop tme and time again.

And i do recomend to people a

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol im saying good hardware sound >good software codecs for so many reasons.

quality

less cpu intensive

better drivers & support

like i said ive seen it time and time again so i will never beleve otherwise uness i see different.

Im done here  :blink:

593194[/snapback]

sounds more like you are conceding defeat.

justify better drivers and support please. i disagree with you so much on that point, that it hurts my eyes to read it.

quality? i beg to differ. a "good" soundcard to one person is not to the next - it also depends on cabling, speakers and the room it is in.

i think you are mislead into thinking all hardware sound cards have a "sound processor", which is not the case.

edit: clay as you mentioned - loudness is not an advantage of pci sound cards. we all know that an analogue amplifier is much better...

lol im saying good hardware sound >good software codecs for so many reasons.

quality

less cpu intensive

better drivers & support

like i said ive seen it time and time again so i will never beleve otherwise uness i see different.

Im done here  :blink:

593194[/snapback]

Well that, my dear friend, is absolute crap of the very highest grade if you ask me :)

Having a hardware 3D sound processor on the card has absolutely *nothing* to do with the general quality of sound, or the manufacturer offering better drivers and support for the product. Why would having a "Sound Processor" have anything to do with having better drivers and support? That really doesn't make any sense at all. Think about it.

As for quality of sound, I'll bet you my sound card without 3D positional hardware offers a clearer sound than your onboard Creative 7.1 thing. My card doesn't automatically resample *everything* to 48kHz and has high quality DAC's. Whether you can actually hear it or not, is of course, another matter. Now, quality of the 3D audio positioning is different! A Creative card is going to have the lead here for sure. I dont think any other card has EAX3 yet, still, even by "software"... I have a feeling this is what you meant by "quality".

Having 3D sound done in hardware is obviously going to be "less CPU intensive".

The point is not all sound cards are going to offer a FPS boost over onboard audio. Not all sound card's have hardware support for 3D positional audio. Not everyone even cares about that FPS boost! I certainly don't, CPU's these days are quite capable of processing 3D audio without a significant or even noticable loss in FPS.

Telling people that a sound card which does 3D positioning in hardware is generally better than any other card is just wrong.

Right i though most pci soundcards have a dsp(digital sound processor) yes? well that produces a soundcards capabilitys ie 100db signal to noise ratio ect so i would think the dsp processor matters alot.

wouldnt you.

As for the drivers im biased ac divers are imo all pos the ony sound problems i ever had are all ac driver related.

It sounds to me like you think everything from quality to performance is all driver related and that a quality dsp does nothing.

Edited by dean25

Right i though most pci soundcards have a dsp(digital sound processor) yes? well that produces a soundcards capabilitys ie 100db signal to noise ratio ect so i would think the dsp processor matters alot.

Nope, and that voids the rest of your arguement. The SNR comes from the DAC and ADC "chips" mainly I believe, though I am sure that PCB layout and Op-Amps etc etc etc also play a part. Most non Creative cards have no DSP chip (I keep trying to say this).

wouldnt you.

As for the drivers im biased ac divers are imo all pos the ony sound problems i ever had are all ac driver related.

It sounds to me like you think everything from quality to performance is all driver related and that a quality dsp does nothing.

593242[/snapback]

593242[/snapback]

another post skimmer. please read them properly before making a comment, yes?

quality depends on speakers, wiring, amplifier, room acoustics...and also, yes: the chipset that is producing the sound.

and no, i dont "think everything is driver related" because in no post did i ever utter such a statement or ever indeed implicate this. i asked you to justify why pci cards have better drivers - it is not a difficult question to comprehend really, just difficult to prove when you have no justification whatsoever.

why do i feel like i am wasting my time?

i beleive the Only sound cards out right now that actually do make a Tiny tiny improvement in fps are the new x-fi cards from creative. and thats only the top 2, the gamer one and the top of the line one. becuase they both have actual RAM built into them. helping take alittle bit of stress off your computer. and it has been tested in many reviews, and they did get like a 1-3 fps jump, thats all. but this is only becuase of the Ram.

Edited by virus

i beleive the Only sound cards out right now that actually do make a Tiny tiny improvement in fps are the new x-fi cards from creative. and thats only the top 2, the gamer one and the top of the line one. becuase they both have actual RAM built into them. helping take alittle bit off stress off your computer. and it has been tested in many reviews, and they did get like a 1-3 fps jump, thats all. but this is only becuase of the Ram.

593297[/snapback]

:withstupid::withstupid: I believe there is a pretty indepth analysis of the X-Fi line in the December PC Gamer (I have it at home, I'll have to check to make sure that's the one).

dean, if you think all onboard sound sucks, go out and try one with 7.1 Realtek850. That's right, 7.1 in an onboard solution! We're not talking the crappy 2.1 onboard crap of yesteryear.

:withstupid:  :withstupid: I believe there is a pretty indepth analysis of the X-Fi line in the December PC Gamer (I have it at home, I'll have to check to make sure that's the one).

dean, if you think all onboard sound sucks, go out and try one with 7.1 Realtek850.  That's right, 7.1 in an onboard solution!  We're not talking the crappy 2.1 onboard crap of yesteryear.

593301[/snapback]

Did i say all onboard sux.......errr no im using the onboard sound that came with my mobo right now and it's very nice.

Its a damm sight better than any ac crap

im just shitting on all ac97 audio any codec/flavour ;) it sux and if you cant hear the difference in a good mp3 then so does your hearing bud.

Did i say all onboard sux.......errr no im using the onboard sound that came with my mobo right now and it's very nice.

Its a damm sight better than any ac crap

im just shitting on all ac97 audio any codec/flavour  ;) it sux and if you cant hear the difference in a good mp3 then so does your hearing bud.

593307[/snapback]

the implications you made were that any pci sound card was better than all onboard sound.

and we hit square one again - what you consider "good" is another man's "crap" in regards to an MP3 file. we then have to consider what speakers you are using, cos if you are using a "HiFi" i would be intrigued as to what your speakers are. pc speakers are not worth even discussing if you are starting on music quality son.