Sign in to follow this  
LucifersMagician

Big Water (thermaltake)

LOL...I think you've missed something here.

593614[/snapback]

All he did was quote hb.

It still stands that the bigwater is an overpriced POS. When you can spend less then half as much on air that cools better what is the point???

Bigwater is good for people who like LCD's

592880[/snapback]

what steroetyping, huh, i dont see it anywhere!!

i think that that his own comment makes him look retarded enough, so i'll stop.

About temps yes there is always a limit on every chip sometimes you can cool as much as like but the chip will go no further and also the motherboard has voltage limits which is your next barrier and temps become irrelevant there also.

Having said that you have to be cool though.

I'd like to match my temps under air to the big water. I bet I'd tie it if not beat it.

594720[/snapback]

An xp-90 (read - not even "C") with good case cooling and a high cfm fan will cool better then the bigwater. Sure, it will be louder, but for a benchrun nobody cares about noise and you can turn down fans afterwards.

My controller broke(actually, fried along with my old psu) so I just took an old psu molex and one from a molex power splitter i had lying around and made a 7v adapter for my tornado - still kinda loud compared to most fans but a million times quiter then at full tilt(I also overvolt my 12v rail by 5% to 12.6v even, so its actually around 7.5v by DMM)

I actually just got the bigwater SE for cheap, and it is cooling quite effectivly, and its dang quiet, despide a little trickling from the resivoir (its actually calming) i was able to get my 3200+ winni to 2.6 and it hovers at 44 C without any other fans running, it used to be like 54-56 C with stock HSF, and this is the thermal goop that comes with it. now to get some AS5.....

Save your money, put it into a complete DIY set-up. $150 get get a system that will leave the big-water in flames. Start out with a TDX, or a white water and an L35. That's about 90 bucks together, even cheaper if you get a used block. Go to an auto parts store, get a heater core - 20 bucks if you know what to ask for. Go to home depot get some PVC piping for a reservoir (what do you know, OCC has a guide on how to make one), buy tubing and clamps - shouldn't cost more than $25 all together. Build the reservoir, add H2O and some anti-freeze, bleed the system and off you go.