Holly Shhh, Is This The Future Of Hard Drives?

Enyce2k9

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good idea but just carried out badly i really dont see them selling many of these if u have a power outage then you UPS runs out of power u a screwed u will need a dedicted generator to make sure u never loose you OS lol

591288[/snapback]

well you obviously didn't read the article then :P. You can get backup software as well, which will dump an image to whatever storage device you want to use.

the only drawback really (besides the price) is the lack of space. 16GB if you max it out...that's not much at all.

**wonder how I can convince my boss to go this route for our new webserver** :blush:

probably have to make it cheaper and increase its capacity, and most people (including me) will be cautuious about this product, cuz its a pain in the butt when you got to get a new HDD, and put all ur stuff back on, if it loses ur data.....

seems good but they didnt mention what kind of ddr ram, hopefully its ddr 3200.

591285[/snapback]

If you read the article, it doesn't matter. DRAM will be bottlenecked by the interface speed. Even PC166 RAM would be bottlenecked by the ATA100 standard. Now, the new revision will have an option for SATA, which should theoretically remove some speed restrictions. However, I doubt you'll ever fully utilize PC3200

If you read the article, it doesn't matter. DRAM will be bottlenecked by the interface speed. Even PC166 RAM would be bottlenecked by the ATA100 standard. Now, the new revision will have an option for SATA, which should theoretically remove some speed restrictions. However, I doubt you'll ever fully utilize PC3200

591324[/snapback]

I've been reading up, because talking to my colleague, he thinks maybe we could do this. Basically he and I have all the say...my boss knows nothing. lol.

But anyways, even with SATA, ddr 266 cannot be reached. And, they can't test it at this time (from what I've found), but they speculate that even with SATAII it'd still bottleneck. Also, the timings mean absolutely nothing for the same reason. These drives will set it to lower timings because it doesn't matter.

fire_storm, you can already buy it. I went to the hyperos site and for the hyperdrive III (which is the ata100 one...sata's not out for that yet) it comes to $723.25 after tax USD (and I think extra fees on top of that for shipping from the UK), and that's just the drive itself, you still have to pay for all the memory sticks!

The i-Ram is much more reasonable, but offers less space and requires a pci-slot.