Is It Too Much?

dshiznit1

So my friend was interested in buying a new puter and he was looking to get a dell. I, of course as anyone here, told him he was wasting his money and thus I ended up with the job of building his new rig. Hes 16 and his birthday is 3 weeks before Christmas so he gets the double wammy of gifts. He was told he could spend $800 (out of gifts and shere neccesity for a new computer) and anything over would come out of his other money from relatives. He claimed he wanted it to last him until a few years in college and wanted to play all the new games that come out.

Here is what I ended up choosing for him:

Athlon 64 3700 San Diego

Abit KN8 SLI

eVGA 7800gt

antec truepowerII 550w

160 hd

1 gig corsair xms

lite on dvd burner

all totaling with case and another dvd drive $1022.

I get buyers remorse. While I feel like I would love to have all of that, I dont know if I went over the top and he maybe didn't need all that. Keep in mind he wants this too last another 5 yrs and wants to play games on it (hence the SLI so he can get another 7800 when he wants to). What do you think? Too much? Too little?

So my friend was interested in buying a new puter and he was looking to get a dell.  I, of course as anyone here, told him he was wasting his money and thus I ended up with the job of building his new rig.  Hes 16 and his birthday is 3 weeks before Christmas so he gets the double wammy of gifts.  He was told he could spend $800 (out of gifts and shere neccesity for a new computer) and anything over would come out of his other money from relatives.  He claimed he wanted it to last him until a few years in college and wanted to play all the new games that come out.

Here is what I ended up choosing for him:

Athlon 64 3700 San Diego

Abit KN8 SLI

eVGA 7800gt

antec truepowerII 550w

160 hd

1 gig corsair xms

lite on dvd burner

all totaling with case and another dvd drive $1022. 

I get buyers remorse.  While I feel like I would love to have all of that, I dont know if I went over the top and he maybe didn't need all that.  Keep in mind he wants this too last another 5 yrs and wants to play games on it (hence the SLI so he can get another 7800 when he wants to).  What do you think?  Too much? Too little?

590887[/snapback]

You may want to order a Opteron when they aren't OOS, or just get a 148 opteron, same as the 3700+ as far as specs but overclock, well ya you know how well they overclock :D . But if he won't be overclocking save some $$ by getting a 3500+, I'm pretty sure it will be almost as the 3700+/148 and thats like $50 save (or more) Maybe wait for the eVGA deal to come back with the free mobo and that will save you some money, I'm not sure if it is a SLI mobo though. Isn't the XMS series for overclocking? Maybe get some kind of value select ram, may be cheaper only if you aren' overclocking. Other than that, lol, looks like you have a pretty much future "proof" system so far. Wait till the real experts reply.

Yea good call on the ram. I was going back and forth on the proc but beacuse I figured what are the odds of him upgrading this on his own, i thought the 1mb of l2 cache would be nice later down the road.

Edited by dshiznit1