Printing Through Vpn

Nerm

Does anybody know a way to print a document from a remote computer to a local printer over a VPN connection? For example.....

PC = remote PC in California

Server = here in Indiana

Printer = remote printer in California

Client at remote PC needs to print documents directly from the Server(connected through a VPN) in Indiana to his local printer at his office in California. Anybody have any idea's?

Maybe I don't fully understand the problem, but I connect to different locations via corporate VPN and have no problem printing documents locally from the remote server.

User VPNs into the server in Indiana and is connected, right?

Now he wants to access a document on a drive on the remote server. Assuming that drive/folder is shared, then the local user would just map a connection to the netowrked drive. The user either has to have an id on the server, or an id on the same domain as the server.

Go to explorer, choose Tools/Map Network Drive and you'll see a dialog. Choose an unused drive letter and then identify the drive/folder on the network, e.g. \\remoteservername\D$

Once that works, the user can reference the drive by the local mapped drive name and choose the file and print it locally.

That is how I would normally do it, but the problem is what he needs to print is a report inside of their software so he can't just go to the mapped drive find the document and print it.

That is how I would normally do it, but the problem is what he needs to print is a report inside of their software so he can't just go to the mapped drive find the document and print it.

592463[/snapback]

What software? I take it he can't point it to the mapped drive?

the program is running on the server? If you go to print, you should still be able to select a local printer. We do that kind of stuff all the time here, just as Nemo described. Should work assuming you're doing it thru remote-desktop.

I don't know what software they are using. I will have to find that out.

Clay, the software is running on the server yes but the software only allows you to print to a printer on the local network.