Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

New Folding Rig

Well, I was going through some old parts, and found some... well, old parts. So, I hacked up a 500 Mhz P3 system (128 megs of RAM with Windows XP Pro, wish me luck), for folding.

So, all's going well. I plug in the keyboard, and then run into a miiinor problem:

There are NO PS/2 ports on the thing :lol:. Anyone know wtf is up with that? Four USB ports but not one PS/2 port :lol:. Trying to be too modern?

Anyway, while I go look for a USB->PS/2 adapter, anyone know wtf is up with the mobo? It's a micro-ATX... Gateway I believe. And, does gateway rewire their boards and PSUs like Dell? I don't want to fry my brother's PSU.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

the PS/2 ports could have been on the moniter, or the moniter counld have been touch screen... thats all i can think of at the moment.

Well, I'll just use my Diamondback then.

Onto my next problem: It won't get past POST. I've tried clearing CMOS, and a live CD. I've tried a Quantum Fireball and Western Digital 80 gig seperately as well.

I know you've probably checked this already, but have you tried removing any add-in cards that may be in there? Also, does the mobo have a larger DIN port for older style keyboards? I have an old Celly 500MHz system hanging around and it has a DIN port for the KB, and a PS/2 for the mouse, and two USB ports. And it's Baby AT....meh :P

i have an 833mhz P3 with Xp Pro and 128mb ram. its good for web and music. just dont install SP2 or you'll be wishing you didnt and have to buy more ram.

i got a nice little IBM Aptiva with a K6, 13 GB hdd, 64mb ram, that im gonna make fold, in the next couple weeks.

I know which one your'e talking about

standard micro ATX psu. nothing fancy on those piles.

of course most PS2 keyboards don't adapt to USB unless they were specifically designed for that purpose.

Guest FxXP
i have an 833mhz P3 with Xp Pro and 128mb ram. its good for web and music. just dont install SP2 or you'll be wishing you didnt and have to buy more ram.

589601[/snapback]

I don't know where you got that crock of **** comment from. <_<