Versions Of Linux

Archerzz

I am messing around with vmware right now and I am just looking for a good version of Linux to mess around with. Right now I am using Fedora Core 4.

Any suggestions to a good one?

interesting, I havent seen that one yet and it got me gentoo (which i am using) and slackware (which i am looking into) :P

Anyways, if you are still a beginner, I would recommend FC, suse, mandrake, redhat. Anything but lindows :P Anywyas, it really just depends on what you want, after all, thats why there are so many distros :P

is gentoo easy to install I have never installed anything without the graphical.

* and do you have windows installed on your system, I did the dual boot thing with Fedora and it really f'up my computer. Messed up the boot sequence and overwrote some crap. Took forever to fix.

Well it is very well documented, the handbook is here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

Partitioning is best done in another OS tho, if you want to dual boot and keep your old files. Gentoo is also very internet-demanding (lol i dunno all linux's are), and if you chose gentoo you will grow to love portage :P

Yes i have windows 2000 pro, I use grub, and if you install it by hand you will understand it much better. I use grub and then chainloader , and put virus protect MBR in bios so if i ever reinstall 2000 I dont have to also reinstall grub. :P

Edited by cold_snipe

I was never keen on Mandriva, I used it for years, all because of it's nice gui installer and the MCC. Now I use ubuntu, to be honest, the only bit of the installer that you need to think about is the partitioning, and you can do that frmo windows so you don't have to think asmuch anyway.