Toyota Camery!

Fireonice

I had no idea that a 04 toyota camery v4 could get up to 120 with 1,000 rpms to go (stupid steed limiter..... :angry2: )

So to my question is that it being an automatic what would be the risk of useing the L, 2, drive, then turn off overdrive to go into 4th gear affect the transmition? The manuall says that you can and even go down from D to 2 to down shift...

Edited by Fireonice

trannies dont like you choosing when they shift, so although it wont do any knoticable damage, it will promote early transmission failure to go L, 2, D. If i'm ever playing around and wanting to go fast (100+ on open country roads), I switch off OD in my 4cylinder eclipse just bc with OD on it wont go past 110.

well, If you want fast shifts, this isnt the way to do it... if you have a sport mode thats what you want to know...

on my car I have a sort of first gen steptronic, I have 1-2-3-4-N-R-P and I can press M and go into manuel (it wont shift out of what Im in) or A (it will shift) but if I go into 3 I go into a "sports mode" where it shifts faster and it holds out the time left to shift for an extra little while. Thats how I would do it if your car has a similar option, its just faster and you cant money shift which is always a plus.

The manual says that you should be able to go from L - 2 - D safely... But im thinking you guys are right and thats just for fun or something....

And on this perticular car with OD off it only has 3 gears (at 120 its redlined at 6,000 rpms) but with it on it add's a 4th gear (1,000 rpms to go, makes me so madddd..) It says that OD off it gets better gas milage.

And how much stress you guys think im puttin on this jap. car's engine at 120? Keep in mind this car has low miles and was my mom's old car (she drove it very umm whats the word, gently mby??) It also has to last me awile sence my parents wont be getting me another car... I want to add some performance stuff to it mby.

If anything sell your camry and buy a sports car. Camry's are nice daily drivers, but nothing more, they just aren't made to go fast. What year and how many miles?

Also, I know of 3 people who all had to have their automatic trannys replaced because of shifting like that...if I were you I'd just buy a stick shift sports car.

automatics :lol:

women's cars...

588093[/snapback]

:withstupid:

I'd rather take a bus full of smelly old people than drive an auto. [unless it was a mclaren slr or some hot shizzle (:O can't believe I just said that :smack: )]

Well i would love to trade it in except for the fact that its a xle.... With every package option avalable. And the way gas prices are and the fact that im always seem to be short on money i dont really want a car with a bigger engin...

I'm just curios (SP) if in occ members opinion if there is anything that i could do to it that would even be worth while? I'm already looking into new suspenstion sence my mom's fiancie(SP) would help me buy that and hes also a master mechanic (and also did warn me about the transmition and to be carefull with it).