Lightscribe Recommendation

Arkadiy

So LightScribe can't even burn color images onto the disk?

587465[/snapback]

no, not yet

i have the HP 640i(half were made by Benq for HP, half were made by LiteOn for HP, none are actually made by HP) so you could end up with a Benq or LiteOn, wont know until you open the box

functionally it has been solid, burns a 4.7Gb dvd in 5 minutes

lightscribe discs are hard to get, you basically have to order them, cant just stop by office max and pick them up

i have yet to find dual layer dvd lightscribe media, which really annoys me

that image red posted probably took 20-30 minutes to burn onto the disc, so from start to finish(get data on disc->design image->burn image), you could have an hour per disc easy

the nicest feature is the drives ability to index the disc, say you already burnt the image, and you meant to add some text but forgot, you can stick the disc back in, design the new image/text, and burn it on the same disc and it will be perfectly aligned, or you can burn the same image twice to get better contrast and you cant tell it was burned twice, just makes it darker

a high quality burner with printable media or printable adhesive labels will give better faster results, but Lightscribe is neat

you can also download the actual dvd covers for BACKUP movies (yes you should do that if you have children who handle them). no design, just drop it into epson's software and hit the print button. 30 seconds to print, 1 minute to dry and away it goes

and if you're looking for color on lightscribe... you need to go do some googling son. it doesn't work that way. nor will it EVER. I see lightscribe going the way of that drive that wrote stuff on the bottom of the disks just because it's more annoying than it's worth, AND you need to pay 3 times as much for a lightscribe disk (I can't even find more than 25 packs in bulk spindles). printable DVD's are running me $8 per 100 pack when I order 10 packs (that's about a weeks worth of disks on a good week :(

Edited by bigred

lightscribe burns an excrement coloured picture on a urine background...

kinda paints a picture of my opinion of it lol

the only reason i EVER sell one at work is because we're out of stock of black-faced dvd-rw's and the litescribe is the only one in stock with a black bezel haha

you can also download the actual dvd covers for BACKUP movies (yes you should do that if you have children who handle them).  no design, just drop it into epson's software and hit the print button.  30 seconds to print, 1 minute to dry and away it goes

and if you're looking for color on lightscribe... you need to go do some googling son.  it doesn't work that way.  nor will it EVER.  I see lightscribe going the way of that drive that wrote stuff on the bottom of the disks just because it's more annoying than it's worth, AND you need to pay 3 times as much for a lightscribe disk (I can't even find more than 25 packs in bulk spindles).  printable DVD's are running me $8 per 100 pack when I order 10 packs (that's about a weeks worth of disks on a good week :(

587795[/snapback]

i wouldn't say never, it could be done, but not any time soon i dont think, of course by then we will all be in BluRay or HDDVD drives anyways

printable are the way to go for anything than the occasional backup

i bought mine to backup my movies, just like you said, the kids have a bonder full of their movies, originals put up, but they are all sharpie marked because i can't find any Lightscribe discs that are worth the hassle and there's no way i have time to burn every disc