Sign in to follow this  
bigred

Switch Problems

this one is making no sense to me at ALL.

first switch, Zonet 24 port gibabit, suddenly started locking up after 8 months of use. all lights would come on solid no activity. REPLACED.

second switch, identical to first, fate the same (within a 4 hour time frame).

third switch, brand spanking new 3com, refuses to pull IP addresses after 2 hours. reset and wait 2 hours for the same problem to come back.

cisco 24 port gigabit switch... been running for 12 hours now, and now IT locked up.

am I missing something here? bad network cable? bad nic attached to it? I know it's not power, replaced the UPS after the 2nd zonet crapped out.

Well, Could try replacing Cables and NIC, Also you said you replaced the UPS, how about Different Outlet.

That sucks, having to replace that much.

I'm going to take a stab at this one...

Could it be a faulty NIC elsewhere in the network, directly attached to the switch? It may have some kind of power regulation problem and send too many volts across the wire.

I'm brainstorming here.

What is directly connect to the switch?

How many hosts and such?

Well, Could try replacing Cables and NIC, Also you said you replaced the UPS, how about Different Outlet.

That sucks, having to replace that much.

586439[/snapback]

if I replaced the f'n UPS that's not an issue here. the idea of a UPS is to eliminate voltage issues from the wall... hell I could unplug the UPS from the wall and let it run off battery... dang that was dumb suggestion STE...

all of the cables have been hooked to a pentascanner, they've all be certified 100%. and no I don't hook ANYTHING right to a switch, that's such a horrible thing to do. patch cord to the wall, full drop back to the patch pannel, and THEN with a second patch cord to the switch which goes to the router and finally to the cable modem. I'm sorry but I find a cabling mess like you're talking about to be very unprofessional and much tougher to trouble shoot. I have tested everthing outside the comps themselves now. which leads me to my next step. bringing one of them online at a time, letting it sit for 2 hours and then bring another one online. of course with 20 of them this will take a few days :( and my folding production is going to be HURTING in the mean time. at least the rigs on the other switch are fine and I don't hvae to worry about them.

Then why did you post, looks like you don't need us... And why must you insult others for trying to help. It may be a "dumb" idea to you but it is still an idea none the less.

Geee sorry.

wow sounds like bigred's a little stressed here.... (backs down quickly)

It's alright Ste i wouldnt take this to personaly :P Just sounds like Bigred is having a hard day.

Then why did you post, looks like you don't need us...  And why must you insult others for trying to help.  It may be a "dumb" idea to you but it is still an idea none the less.

Geee sorry.

586477[/snapback]

a suggestion is something that makes sense. of course you're telling me to go back and look at something I already stated was taken care of... which you even stated in your own post.

I just get sick of "help" from people who have no clue. and lately I keep seeing that from many of OCC's members, yourself included STE. if you don't know, just stay quiet. Cuz giving me dumb suggestions will anger me, giving a noob dumb suggestions only furthers the spread of stupidity and myths out there on the web... like the "the xeon isn't as good as the P4 of the same speed" or "crossfire needs to matching cards like SLI"... these are the type of things that drive me insane STE. so please before you open start typing and making suggestions about something you have NO clue about, please think, stop typing, think some more and THEN if some form of intelligent thought that's actually a fact comes to mind... post. if not just quietly let it go and learn when someone who KNOWS about the subject posts.

I didn't see you mention this so sorry if its a repeat. Have U done any troubleshooting on the cisco IOS? CPU usage, running processes, that sort of thing. What switch is it? this almost sounds like a brodcast storm.

Please don't hurt me!

Bigred: I am trying to think of every possible situation, and you can't tell me a UPS will always always fix anything comming out of a wall socket.

Now I am suggesting because I will have to do this some day so I want experience, now stop being such a big man that you don't want help, and like i said it may be dumb to you but not to others.

And you should be the more mature member and not insult younger members, or older members for any reason whatsoever, if you have a problem with "dumb" suggestions you PM them and say it, not in the open.

STE the point is I know enough to see that advice for what it is... there are noobss that look at your time on the board and take things like that as law. that's not good. so a dumb suggestion is still a dumb suggestion even if the person getting the suggestion doesn't know any better.

now incase you didn't know a UPS is also used for brownouts, spikes, and other fluxuations. it's designed to take that abuse and give a steady current to what ever device it's hooked to. the only way you'd have power issues with a UPS is if the device's power supply is bad... which would have been replaced... multiple times.

trouble shooting 101 STE... aka basic logical thought.

ijagwalaafq: I'm leanig towards something jabbering so much that the switch is having issues... aka a broadcast storm. so far with just a handful of the rigs back online the issue has yet to pop up. plus they've all been power cycled.

Edited by bigred