Safely Remove Hardware!?

Shaggy

ever since i updated nforce drivesr, I've been getting that "safely remove hardware" icon for my seagate barracuda internal harddrive. What gives?

It's there cuz SATA drives are theoretically hotswappable, much like USB devices. Most people usually just pull USB devices rather than use the Safely Remove Hardware option. You could technically do that with SATA drives as well, though I believe it's highly suggested you Safely Remove it rather than just pull the plug, especially if you're taking out the drive your OS is running on (is that even possible?)

Like Lo said, after a while, you'll forget that it's there

It's there cuz SATA drives are theoretically hotswappable, much like USB devices. Most people usually just pull USB devices rather than use the Safely Remove Hardware option. You could technically do that with SATA drives as well, though I believe it's highly suggested you Safely Remove it rather than just pull the plug, especially if you're taking out the drive your OS is running on (is that even possible?)

Like Lo said, after a while, you'll forget that it's there

586182[/snapback]

yeah, my sata-raid array is in my "safely remove devices" icon as two separate drives, despite 1) having the OS on them, and 2) them being striped and windows recognizing it as one drive.

kash, I'm guessing if you tried to click "safely remove" on the drive running your OS, it'd just give you an error message saying you cannot remove a system drive, or something like that. I don't feel like being the guinea pig though and possibly screwing up my striping :P

kash, I'm guessing if you tried to click "safely remove" on the drive running your OS, it'd just give you an error message saying you cannot remove a system drive, or something like that.  I don't feel like being the guinea pig though and possibly screwing up my striping :P

587467[/snapback]

Don't look at me, I'm enjoying record uptimes right now, no way I'm screwing that up for some stupid experiment.