Sign in to follow this  
GlimmerMan

Best Book For Pc Stuff?

as long as i know the basics i can update my knowledge every now and then by going to the library

and and completely off topic, how do i change my "advanced member" writting thing uder my avitar.

the basics unfortunately change every few years even. also A+ is a PC trouble shooting cert, so I have no idea why people are suggseting reading that if you want a history lesson. there are much better and FREE places for that on the web. google is always a great place to start.

I suggest PC Hardware Buyers Guide (from PC Gamers) i found this magazine very usefull on upto date stuff it coems out every season.... and it even gives u an over view on everything u need for a computer...HD, Processor with explination, SOund Card, Graphics, anything part of a computer.....

the basics unfortunately change every few years even.  also A+ is a PC trouble shooting cert, so I have no idea why people are suggseting reading that if you want a history lesson.  there are much better and FREE places for that on the web.  google is always a great place to start.

586597[/snapback]

Well because he knows the basics like what CPU's, MOBO's, and graphics cards do I suggested an A+ book. Yes A+ does teach you how to troubleshoot and all that jazz but it also provides you with an understanding of how the components in your computer communicate and work together to show you the picture on your screen. Also books stay true forever after they are put out, its not like the socket type or cache size changed on a P2 just because the book got older.... and that A+ book I linked gives plenty of history, it goes into depth with many outdated parts and specifications such as old pentiums, ISA, old form factors, and the list can keep going (those are basic, havent read that in a while).

PS: The basics dont really change... You still need the right socket processor for your motherboard, the gfx card goes in the slot it fits in (AGP or PCI-E), and you need a powersupply to make the computer turn on. In my eyes those are the basics, knowing if certain parts will be compatable with eachother.

Perfect, not only would i liek to expand on my knowledge but learn how to fix + solve pc problems... sounds like this is gonna be the book i get.

EDIT:

i looked into the table of contents on here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1576106950...342#reader-page

looks like an excellent book for exactly what i want. thanks guys.

EDIT AGAIN:

I've read some disapointing reviews, check out this page on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...=283155&s=books

any other really good hardware books?

http://www.bookware.com.au/cgi-bin/bookware/0072231467 <--- This one looks more comprehensive and in-depth than the other one.

http://www.bookware.com.au/cgi-bin/bookware/0072229918

Apparently these two books are really good, can anybody tell me difference between the two and which one i should get?

Edited by GlimmerMan

I've said it before and I'll say it again. books don't teach this stuff. they don't teach about hardware, and they sure as hell don't teach about trouble shooting. ask people who actually deal with hardware for a living. you can't put that kind of info on paper. it just doesn't work like that.

Maybe those Building and Repairing PC books might be better since he wants to learn the basics of hardware. 

586120[/snapback]

:withstupid: I definatly reccomend those Building and Reparing PC books. I have one here in my Local Library

Edited by Mr.Who?

Red, although i envy your wisdom and 99% of the time listen to your advice, i do think that the books will teach me something. Even if it will be outdated soon i'll at least have some idea of how previous, current and future products will work.

EDIT:

jesus christ i just heard from my dad that hiw work is throwing away quad xeon servers!!!! i so badly hope i'll get some of them, wish me luck!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:withstupid:  I definatly reccomend those Building and Reparing PC books. I have one here in my Local Library

587172[/snapback]

yeah i do too... but technology changes with a couple a months that book will be obsolete... You'd be better off just staying here and learning here.

Go and check your libary because there are some good books out... that are about 900 pages long and i read every single one lol

I checked my library and the books seem VERY old. I'll probably just buy one. I'm suer the books won't be obsolete in a few months :/

No im not considering taking the exam i jut want it for information. however i will ask one of those guys, thanks for the linkage :)