Teens With Cell Phones

martymcfly

(kids/teens only) Do you have a cell phone?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. (kids/teens only) Do you have a cell phone?

• Yes, and I pay for it myself.
    • Yes, and my parent(s)/guardian(s) pay for it.
    • Yes, and I have partial responsibility for the bill.
    • No.

I don't think little kids should have cell phones.  It may be easier for a parent to keep track of them, but in my world, a 13 year old kid doesn't go anywhere out of my supervision, so there's no need for a cell phone :)

585281[/snapback]

exactly. But around my area, 13-year-olds do go to the mall or the city alone. Therefore it is necessary See my post about nowhereville.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and we wonder why there's an increase in child abductions these days. A cell phone doesn't stop a little girl from getting scooped up and taken away by a pervert. Parents need to stay in range at all times. We shouldn't be sending little kids out into the world alone like that.

I was going around town (not on my own, usually with a friend) when I was 10~ish... and I've never known anyone my age to get into any kind of trouble :O But I don't think it's a good idea if you are in a big city... maybe at 13 or 14.

exactly.  But around my area, 13-year-olds do go to the mall or the city alone.  Therefore it is necessary  See my post about nowhereville.

585308[/snapback]

What about all those activities and sports that kids do these days?

frankly I don't even think highschool kids should have a cell phone.

584985[/snapback]

alot of times we dont need them, but with a car and a job my parents want to know where the hell i am and when i'll be getting home, yes i could probably get away with using peoples house phones or the ones at work or anything else like that, but it just makes it a litte easier

I don't think little kids should have cell phones.  It may be easier for a parent to keep track of them, but in my world, a 13 year old kid doesn't go anywhere out of my supervision, so there's no need for a cell phone :)

585281[/snapback]

that is what pisses kids of the most. what is the number one thing that teens want???

INDEPENDANCE!!!

keeping them under your supervision constantly is why parents get into so danged many arguments with their teens.

its a part of life when you wont let a teen do anything without telling you who what when where why how and so on.

if you give them a little freedom, then they are much happier in the long run. plus with a cell phone you can still get them to tell you what they are going to do but then the teen can call if they change their plans. my parents make me call if i change my plans at all... doesnt quite work if im in the middle of walking somewhere with a group of people and no cell phone around.

Edited by danyo64

I'm fixing to turn 16, and I'll be getting a phone for x-mas. Yes, my very own, and very first phone. Of course, it'll be a free phone, but my parents will be adding me on to their plan. My whole family has had their own phone for maybe 5 years now. I've never needed one until now. I stay after school for about an extra three hours just about everyday because of band or other clubs and the necessity of a cell phone has become unavoidable. I have to call up some friends to give me a ride to my house, or to work on a project of some sort somewhere else (don't like driving to school, too many irresponsible people and can't risk an accident). I do agree with lots of people in this thread though - giving a cell phone to someone who's still 13, or just to someone who doesn't drive, is pretty odd. I always just borrowed on of my friends phones. For some reason, nothing makes me more mad than a cocky little 13 year old who thinks he's better than me b/c he has a cell phone. Sure, it's cool if they ACTUALLY need it and their parents agree that they needed one, but I mean the ones who begged their parents for it and when they finally have it, never stfu about it. Ooh, you have a cell phone, but do you have a license? Can you drive LEGALLY? I don't think so.

im 14, i need one, but i dont have one. I dont want my folks to pay for it because they will check the #'s, on it. ANd i cannot pay it myself :\

585351[/snapback]

well why do you need one, to hid your phone calls?? cause thats just not right

I am 16 (only a few more days till I am 17) and I got a cell phone over the summer. Mostly because I was driving downtown into the ghetto every morning at 5:30 to goto work. I had to pay for my Moto e815 and pay $10 bucks a month (family plan). When I get into NHS, my next year of cellphone usage is free.

BTW, txt/pix/flix messaging is disabled on my phone.