Teens With Cell Phones

martymcfly

(kids/teens only) Do you have a cell phone?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. (kids/teens only) Do you have a cell phone?

• Yes, and I pay for it myself.
    • Yes, and my parent(s)/guardian(s) pay for it.
    • Yes, and I have partial responsibility for the bill.
    • No.

what co give you unlimited min for 60 bucks?  i pay for my own stuff though.. 68 dollars a month.. car insurance is now 300.. i got a ticket and it raised it a grand a year :-(

584887[/snapback]

Cricket, lol. I think it is only local phone service though. It's cheap and everything is unlimited. I have actually found that they are more reliable then some other companys as service goes. Crappy butt support though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 just about 16, I dont have a phone. I dont really see where I would have a use for it. I guess its one of those things you dont realize how useful it is until you get one :|

edit: I guess I forgot to mention I use about 200 - 300 minutes a day, that is why I have unlimited lol

584881[/snapback]

What in the world could a 13 year old talk about on a cell phone for 3-5 hours a day?!

The idea of ANY 13 year old with a cell phone just baffles me.

What in the world could a 13 year old talk about on a cell phone for 3-5 hours a day?!

The idea of ANY 13 year old with a cell phone just baffles me.

584910[/snapback]

couldn't agree more!

I have all those lines, and still don't rack up that many minutes a day... hell I'm lucky if I do that much a month per line. and that's with idiots calling to tell me stupid things like "we knocked a cabin off the foundation with a dump truck" followed by my exposive rant about it.

go be a kid. go play pickup basketball at the Y, go hang out with friends at the mall, go do SOMETHING that involves face to face human interaction for god's sake.

I see no problem with 13-year-olds (or even 12-year-olds) having cells. At this age, they are starteing to hang out at the mall and do stuff without their parents. The cell gives their parents peace of mind and allows the children to be able to communicate between themselves as a plus. What i hate is what I am now seeing more and more of: elementary school kids with cell phones. i have seen a few of these in my town. they have nothing to talk about, so all they do is play games on the phone or call their friends when they are in the same room. It is very immature usage. But I do also hate the people in HS who don't use their phone much, but they have a Razr and about a dozen $15.99 faceplates and lighted keypads. My sister's has rhinestones! All I have is one transparent faceplate that I got on evay for really cheap and as metal antenna from when my old one broke off on my LG VX6000 hand-me-down.

edit:

Also, The cell phone may be less necessary in more rural or suburban areas than mine. Over here, people walk around Manhattan alone and they can keep in touch this way. In Nowhereville, people don't really need phones because if their parents need them, they just call out into the field, "Jeb! Come home! You can push a wheel down the road with a stick after you finish your supper!" and if they are in their "mall", 7-11, they aren't too hard to keep track of.

Edited by martymcfly

I see no problem with 13-year-olds (or even 12-year-olds) having cells.  At this age, they are starteing to hang out at the mall and do stuff without their parents.  The cell gives their parents peace of mind and allows the children to be able to communicate between themselves as a plus.  What i hate is what I am now seeing more and more of: elementary school kids with cell phones.  i have seen a few of these in my town.  they have nothing to talk about, so all they do is play games on the phone or call their friends when they are in the same room.  It is very immature usage.  But I do also hate the people in HS who don't use their phone much, but they have a Razr  and about a dozen $15.99 faceplates and lighted keypads.  My sister's has rhinestones!  All I have is one transparent faceplate that I got on evay for really cheap and as metal antenna from when my old one broke off on my LG VX6000 hand-me-down.

584916[/snapback]

A thirteen year-old having a cell phone only makes worse the current trend of all these 13 year old girls wearing halter tops, lipstick, and eye-liner. It gives these kids a bloated sense of self importance, which will eventually turn them into "spoiled brats". As far as a parent's sense of security, hey that's fine, but the cell phone should not belong to the child (yes, 13 = child), but should rather be given to them only when necessary, thus indicating who is really in charge.

I'm just tired of seeing all these little kids walk around like they're top sh.. because their parents hand them anything they want. Someone should put them in their place. Maybe they should watch Fight Club and learn about how they are not beautiful and unique snowflakes.

That's my rant..... like it? :P

once again I'm inclined to agree with Verran on this subject. ADULTS carry cell phones. kids with them just makes them think they're adults.

now coming from a father... with a daughter you have no idea how much that scares the crap out of me. sure its nice to be able to track em down when you want to find out what they're upto... but like Verran said it leads to them doing other "adult" things, or sending the wrong message to the wrong people. I don't want my daughter parading around like she's Brittany Spears in a few years... a 13 year old who looks 20 can only be ASKING for trouble. and that's more trouble than not being able to ask her to come home from dinner.

frankly I don't even think highschool kids should have a cell phone.

luckey buggars i got my first cell phone when i was 16 my parents mocked the fact that i got one they always said if i want any of that technology cr** i gotta buy it my self and thats y im almost always broke dang, wow subscription, car insurance and gass prices *shakes fist*