New Hard Drive But Xp Isn't Showing All The Space

airman

yea just read the title....i remember it's been mentioned somewhere around here but i couldn't manage to find it.

can someone point me in the right direction on how to get my drive to show that's it's 200gb instead of only 128? that would be nice =)

possible bios limitation?

584031[/snapback]

If that's the case, then a simple BIOS flash should solve the issue. Of course, if that IS the problem, then you're also looking at creating a new partition table, which of course means a reinstall of Windows.

Funny you should mention this....

Just yesterday, a friend of mine had the same problem. It turned out to be fixed by installing the SATA/Raid floppy files at install. He had a 200gb SATA that was showing as a 130gb-ish drive in windows and during the install. After installing the files off the raid floppy, it worked just fine.

Well, update windows Again, SP2 should let you see it, And I don't think its a BIOS limatation Cause its probably in LBA mode which would allow the BIOS to see anything larger then 504 MB.

well if this drive WAS sata i would do that but it's IDE. i did the "disc wizard" that came with the harddrive (don't mess with me it was 3:30AM when i got home) and did a "quick format". this is really ok to me because it's still PLENTY of space and i'll be reformatting it in a month anyways (i'm upgrading)

and i'll be sure to do the "full" format as i always do (with the winxp cd rom)