Steam Really Screwed Up

sYstEmATiC

ok im REALLY starting to get pissed off at this .. i will start at the begining. I got a new pc, ok i format and install winBLOWS XP and everything is fine. i install steam and get a weird problum but all games play.

well tghat weird problem is this.... i get this bar at the bottom (see pic)_ that WILL NOT go away unless i close out steam all together (as in terminate the program, not just minimize)

i got another problem that i just found. I want to buy DOD:S but i cant becasue this . is craping up it says "loading" and wont load anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled steam and it still does this. I WANT TO BUY DOD:S but i cant.

PLEASE can someone help me?

Thank you

Brian

Do you have the newest SP and the ie 6 update thingamajig? If you have all of that then submit a steam ticket thingamajig and they will look into it in a few weeks, and hopefully fix it for you. Try compability modes if you have to, and make sure IE works fine because steam seems to hang when its loading the ie part of it. I dunno, I'm out of ideas.

EDIT: you are a mozilla user, make sure you did not remove ie :P

Edited by cold_snipe

EDIT: you are a mozilla user, make sure you did not remove ie :P

583887[/snapback]

:withstupid: yeah, i'm a firefox user, but I kept IE because you never know when it's (unfortunately) needed. Like cold_snipe said, it seems Steam uses IE to display its news updates, and that's probably what that extra window is, as it'd normally pop up an update when you connect and you'd have to close it.

definitely keep IE (but don't use it unless they put a gun to your head). Steam has been acting up on my laptop lately having similar problems to yours. Eventually it works, but all I know is Steam has been goofing up lately. Does anyone know when they are going to get that buddy list working??? It worked for a few days after I bought HL2 (in April) and it hasn't worked since.

well i have IE and yes it works but firefox is set as the default? is that the problem? well the reason i need it to work so bad is because i need to get to the store menu and cant...i want to buy dod:s but i cant get to the buy menus.

ok i hate steam with a crapING PASSION. why the crap wont it work, this is bull crap.

i have reinstalled (after getting rid of all traces) and i updated winblows before i reinstalled and its still doing this .. I can play games but other than that, steam is trashed. I WANT TO PLAY DOD:S MOTHER(insert bad word here)S wtf is with steam. ima call them at like 8 am and "TRY" to find out something or i will ask for my money back for buying HL2 in the first place.

EDIT... how can i make IE the default browser? (shudders) i wonder if steam is set to use whatever the current browser is if ya know what i mean.

EDIT2* YESSSS i fixed it. i was searching steams knoledge base (which is actually quite good btw) and found that nVidia's "network access manager" was causing it. so i uninstalled it like it said and wala, it works now. YAAAAY <---*imitates special ed from crank yankers*

Edited by sYstEmATiC