Is This Legal?

martymcfly

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its legal because when you purchase the software, you also purchase the right to make as many backups as you like for your own personal use. As long as you use your own CD key, not the one with the download, and don't give it out to anyone else, its fine.

there are tools available for repairing stratched CDs and DVDs though. only about $40.

its legal because when you purchase the software, you also purchase the right to make as many backups as you like for your own personal use.  As long as you use your own CD key, not the one with the download, and don't give it out to anyone else, its fine.

there are tools available for repairing stratched CDs and DVDs though. only about $40.

584058[/snapback]

:withstupid: But, if he is 'caught' downloading it it'll take a bit of explaining... The thing I always try do to is find someone near me or at school/uni who has a copy i can borrow...

Let's see how many times we can tell marty the same thing!!

583601[/snapback]

It's legal ;)

I gave the DVD a really good cleaning.  It installed. Yay!

583704[/snapback]

That's cool. I'd make a backup of it asap though just in case. If you don't have a dvd burner, you should still be able to rip an image using Alcohol 120% and just save it on your harddrive. Better safe than sorry

:withstupid: But, if he is 'caught' downloading it it'll take a bit of explaining... The thing I always try do to is find someone near me or at school/uni who has a copy i can borrow...

584081[/snapback]

True, but the odds of him being caught are slim. And like someone said, even if he is singled out, he'll be one of the few people with a legitimate excuse. If he explained the story, they probably wouldn't even bother pursuing it...and if they did, once he showed proof, it'd be over. The only problem he risks is if he has other illegal software or music on his computer and it's the RIAA that catches him, not EA.

One of the things I do is always make a back up in the form of an ISO with each piece of softwear I buy. i save them on a file server, then use a little script I wrote that will mount the images over the network pretty nifty :)... (we wrote the script for the gaming center I worked with but its so nice that I use it at home now :) )