Religion Is Racism

p8baller07

Guess I'll add my 2 cents in here. I don't post much at OCC, mostly because I don't feel I have alot to add to the wealth of knowledge that's already here, but this is a topic I have become interested in.

I won't go into what I believe, and who I think it wrong, because it's irrelevant to what I'm about to post.

Here's the deal. Talk of tolerance and intolerance makes me angry. I'm sick and tire of people saying "hey, you can't think what you want to think!". Let me clarify. If I want to think that my belief, view, or religion, is the only "right" one, then that's my right. If anyone else wants to think that their way is the "right" one, they certainly can.

I think it's pretty low when "Bob" gets angry at "Bill" because of "Bill's" beliefs when "Bob" asked him about them in the first place!

Where we mess up is when we physically and verbally assault people for either a) telling others about their beliefs, or b) not believing the way we do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that anyone should "shove" their beliefs/views/religion down anyone's throat. People should have the maturity to ask permission to share their beliefs. They should also have the maturity to say "no" or "yes" depending on whether or not their want to hear someone's beliefs.

Now racism, and other prejudices are another matter. While I had not intended to get into this, I do believe in God. I consider myself a Christian in the truest sense of the word. The work Christian means "Christ-like". That is the type of Christian I consider myself. I try to follow the example, teachings, and word of Christ as closely as possible. I don't hate or disparage others for their beliefs, and I always ask permission to tell them about mine. When the word "Christian" is separated from its original meaning, there's no point in using it.

My place is not to judge the life, character or beliefs of others, but to treat them the way I would want to be treated, regardless of their beliefs. That statement should apply to everyone, regardless of belief.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My place is not to judge the life, character or beliefs of others, but to treat them the way I would want to be treated, regardless of their beliefs. That statement should apply to everyone, regardless of belief.

Words of wisdom.

The tolerance concept is a funny thing. When someone asks what you believe, you tell them and they say "I can't believe you'd be into that, that's so intolerant of you to be a Christian and believe in Jesus! You should be atheistic like me, I'm tolerant of everything. We aren't like those stupid Christians, man I can't stand them!"

Something is obviously wrong with this picture....

And its vise versa sometimes too. I disagree with the atheists, but a true Christian understands that God gives people freedom of religion, freedom of choice. All these posts about Religion is this and Relition is that are intollerant posts by people who call themselves tollerant of others. (Flame I know, but I think it's true) AND has anyone noticed that the only real bashing is the christian bashing, the christians are leaving you atheists and whatevers alone.... we arent making any attacks on your belief, only stating ours.

Is offering a Bible really "forcing" religion on anyone? If they are just offering a Bible, I think they are showing concern for your welfare. As Christians, we are called to share Christ's message, and for many that means to give out Bibles.

If they are forcing a Bible on you, that's a different story.

Guess I'll weigh in on that last post too.

Granted, some so called Christians like to beat people over the heads with Bibles (not literally), and many are way off base concerning their motivation, and atheir attitude. Concerning sharing beliefs with others, we too often forget that we're supposed to love people. People aren't just stats or numbers. When a true Christian shares his/her beliefs with another person, it is out of love.

If you knew that someone would die in a plane crash the next day, would you not try to prevent them from boarding that plane?

Jesus main message was love. Even on the cross he said "Father, forgive them, they don't know what they're really doing".

Most people who call themselves Christians have either forgotten that message, or have chosen to turn it into something else for their own purposes.

And for what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of organized religion. Yes, I go to a church in a mid-size denomination, but I really don't care for the whole idea of "denominations". People could accomplish so much more by working together and putting their small differences aside.